Day Trip Tackle Box

Started by mmayo, May 01, 2015, 11:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

Recently I was asked to construct an ammo box sized tacklebox. This was a new challenge and here is what I made. The design continues to on the next version will have the hinges on the wideside.  Three Plano 3500 plastic trays fit inside with room for other stuff like pliers.

The cost for a box in African mahogany is $150 plus $18 shipping in the continental United States.

The color of wood varies depending on the light available where it is photographed. This photo shows the grain of the wood and a better idea of the color and bright glossy shine of the spar varnish finish.

A new one for Bib Rhatigan

"The box arrived yesterday. It's fantastic! The workmanship, finish, and hardware all look exceptional! Can't wait to break it in this weekend. Thanks!...Bob"
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

mmayo

A friend and San Diego captain asked me to buy one of these day boxes.  I used the opportunity to move the orientation 90 degrees to make it more boat friendly.  This tiny box holds three Plano 3500 trays (two shown in photos).

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Yep nice stuff from Mark.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

coastal_dan

Wow, just wow.  Exquisite Mark.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tiddlerbasher

foakes

Those are fabulous, Mark --

And so well planned to enable three Plano boxes -- that is a lot of storage.

Being a woodworker, myself, I can tell folks that just the wood stock, SS hardware, and professional waterproof finishing is worth more than $100 -- at wholesale cost.

We have seen similar boxes, smaller though -- in places like Carmel, Pacific Grove, Cambria, etc. -- sell for 2 or 3 times that amount.

These are really extraordinary values for something to store gear in for a lifetime of fishing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mmayo

Quote from: foakes on June 12, 2015, 05:34:27 PM
Those are fabulous, Mark --

And so well planned to enable three Plano boxes -- that is a lot of storage.

Being a woodworker, myself, I can tell folks that just the wood stock, SS hardware, and professional waterproof finishing is worth more than $100 -- at wholesale cost.

We have seen similar boxes, smaller though -- in places like Carmel, Pacific Grove, Cambria, etc. -- sell for 2 or 3 times that amount.

These are really extraordinary values for something to store gear in for a lifetime of fishing.

Best,

Fred

So far, it is fun to make fishing gear and I try to sell the items I make for a minimal profit.  The money allows to me to improve safety around my shop so I can keep those fingers for fishing.  I used to to make close to $100/ hr and I do NOT make that now when I work with wood, but I am happy.

mmayo

A couple of boxes have moved to the finish line. As you can see they come in various sizes depending on what is desired.

The dog is not included!

mmayo

A tiny one for Blake Wasano of the Royal Star.

mmayo

Just delivered this one today, a gift for a guy's dad.

coastal_dan

Beautiful Mark! - I still need to get one of these.... :'(

BTW, I still haven't used your Cedar Plugs, but they look amazing sitting with my anniversary reel wood boxes  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

Beautiful Mark, just beautiful, every one a little more than the previous.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

STRIPER LOU

Absolutely gorgeous work!
..........Lou

mmayo

I now use box joint joinery on the case for added strength and beauty.

The cost per box is $150 plus shipping.