Okuma Solterra SLR-50W

Started by boghy, December 13, 2010, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: boghy on December 17, 2010, 08:21:21 AM
This reel has only those 2 ball bearings as you can see in image #27. There is no 3th ball bearing (thrust) like in Makaira. Would that make a big difference under heavy load?

Yes.  Hence the several hundred dollar difference!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boghy

Quote from: alantani on December 17, 2010, 05:56:27 PM
Quote from: boghy on December 17, 2010, 08:21:21 AM
This reel has only those 2 ball bearings as you can see in image #27. There is no 3th ball bearing (thrust) like in Makaira. Would that make a big difference under heavy load?

Yes.  Hence the several hundred dollar difference!
Sounds like a thrust ball bearing would make a reel worth four times the amount that i paid for this reel. I'm new to level drag type of reel, can you tell me more - why would make a difference a thrust ball bearing? Some basic details, if possible, i would really appreciate.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

alantani

with a thrust bearing in line, you can fish with very high drag levels and still turn the handle freely.  for most reels, the handle binds up.  but since you have a graphite frame, insanely high drag levels would break the frame anyway!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boghy

For the class of sharks that i'm targeting this reel should hold up well, since penn 9/0 or daiwa 900 has less drag. That's my opinion. The only big test will be the endurance in sand environment.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

mleist78

ive been using this reel from the beach targeting 6-7 ft sharks.  to date since I have purchased this reel, I have put 2 sharks on the beach with it.  a 6ft 3in sandbar, and a 5ft 8in blacktip.  this reel had performed flawlessly.  no problems what so ever......awesome reel....by far my favorite of all my reels.