454 vs. 546

Started by codisking, May 02, 2015, 05:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codisking

I've been trying to find a 546 for my collection and have looked all over only to be either too late or out bid. My question is, in reading through the wealth of information that is this site, it appears that the 454 and 546 are the same size. Does that mean you can put the internals from a 546 into the body of a 454?

-Chris

foakes

Check with Randy at Vintage Offshore Tackle -- on this site.

He always carries a lot of Newells in the various models.

If he doesn't have what you want -- he will contact you as soon as he gets one.

He buys and sells constantly -- is on top of the market -- and offers very fair values to Alan Tani members.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

codisking

Thanks for the heads up. I just put in my request.

Newell Nut

No you can not interchanged the internals. The 500 series has bigger gears and double dogs. Some of the parts are the same such as the dog and spring but the other parts are unique. The 454 drive system interchanges with the 300 series and the gears also fit the 200 series. A 454 is a nice high capacity reel. If you want a little more muscle then get the 546. All depends on what you plan to do with it.
Here it is. Get your bid high enough and you have it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Newell-Reel-S546-4-6-Saltwater-Big-Game-Dolphin-Wahoo-Sailfish-/181728337953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4fda6021

codisking

I was actually looking for something with a little more muscle which is why I have been entertaining the notion of swapping parts. However, I guess I can put a 5-stack in a 400 series and that could give me a little more backbone. I have a 447 which I have used to catch 80-100 lb. bluefin and have not had a problem, aside from having to use my thumbs for more drag pressure. The reel is an all stock C series so it isn't the highest quality but I would like to upgrade the reels I have had for so many years rather than putting them up on eBay. I guess I'm just sentimental when it comes down to it.

MarkT

There was a time that Newell would upgrade a 400 series to a 500 series by swapping out the right sideplate.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tunacious

You're right...I remember those days! :)

To the OP...the Hawaii guys really like the wide Newells. This is why the prices are pretty high on places such as ebay. If the 80-100 lb BFT are your target and you want to use Newells, I'd suggest a 600 series. Since the 600 series gearing is larger you can go with Bryan's 7+1 drag system. Get a NL series with the ss bearing cups. Swap out the handle with aluminum or ss. I'd also suggest getting the Cortez Conversion ss gear sleeve.