P533 4.6F One of kind

Started by Newell Nut, May 03, 2015, 06:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

John
I don't think the Aluminum stars will last long. They need a SS hub like Newell made them. Alum plus SS sleeve plus saltwater and they would die a nasty death.

Other parts look good.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 08, 2015, 11:32:29 PM
John
I don't think the Aluminum stars will last long. They need a SS hub like Newell made them. Alum plus SS sleeve plus saltwater and they would die a nasty death.

Other parts look good.

They are pretty, and light, but I agree may be prone to corrosion/and or damage to the threads.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Mac53

So my journey is almost done.  I am so stoked and I feel like a kid at Christmas!  The work, thought and persistence that Dwight put into these builds never failed to amaze me.  He is a perfectionist and the quality of his work is further confirmed by forum member comments.  To have sourced a new in box 533 and a mint, mint 338 without him would have been problematic for me.  I have no concern that these reels are all that they can be.  These are the "weapons" that I will take to the Dry Tortugas and the Pulley Ridge area that lie 60-100 miles due west of Key West. 

I am very thankful that I was able to find this great forum and figure out a way to use the information contained within.  And lastly, to have found a friend in Dwight!

Thanks guys.
Mac (Tim)

bluefish69

Mac

Are you going with the Yankee Capt.? Good boat & great Capt. we miss him up North. I read his posts on another site.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Mac53

Mike,

Yes, it's the Yankee Captain.  Greg is as good as it gets and he is always looking for ways to find more territory to fish.  Looking forward to early Retirement!

Mac

Newell Nut

Good Luck on the trip. My boss Elli told me that I could not sell any more of my Newells so the stash is closed.  ;)

fIsHsTiiCkS

Insanely great work Dwight, not only great with rods but making works of art with reels. Been looking into getting a 322, might just have to get you to build it up for me!

Newell Nut

A 322 would be real sweet on a rod like you just got or maybe just a little softer tip to really zip some light baits. My buddy that fishes for tarpon uses the RCLB XL and has had them double the rod up under his boat with locked down drag on his spinner and has not broken one. Lots of backbone in those blanks.

Newell Nut

I two technical advantages to me is slightly better casting if you use your conventional for casting. A little less thumbing of the spool. Other people may have better answers as to why they like narrow or wide. I like my 322 for casting a cobia jig. I also use a 533NK when flat lining for kings. Do I feel strongly enough to sell you on the idea? NO, it is what ever floats your boat.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 09, 2015, 12:56:27 AM
Quote from: Newell Nut on May 08, 2015, 11:32:29 PM
John

Other parts look good.

They are pretty, and light, but I agree may be prone to corrosion/and or damage to the threads.
No, not may, the threads will definitely get stripped, I've seen them. The aluminum star is a senseless design.

Good job on that reel buddy.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Not only do more narrow spools aid in casting and make it easier to thumb the line on a spool but also can play a role in fishing live bait. Here in So Cal we are a huge live bait fishery and most of the time that means flylinning those live baits (fishing them with very little or no weight). The more lively and fresh a bait is when it reaches the zone where the fish are holding the better the chance of it getting picked up by a fish. With a lighter spool the stronger a bait will be and for a longer time. That is another reason why free spool is so important to us left coast fishermen, not just for casting but also to keep the hooked bait fresh and strong as long as possible. The increased weight, which equals more drag on the bait, of a standard or wide spool may seem very little where the line is coming off the reel but that little increase will exponentially rise over distance.

An example of this increase which I'm sure most people will understand is using a hose to water your yard. Say you have to go around a corner or the hose is rubbing something as you pull it out. When your close to where the hose is rubbing it is sill pretty easy to pull it past that object but the further you get away from where the hose is rubbing the harder it gets to pull it out. Even though the drag increase seemed very little close to the object where the hose is rubbing the further you get away from it the increased drag  grows and grows.

Tunacious

x2 to what SCA states. It's very important in socal live bait fishing to have that great freespool, especially on long soaks which is typical for bft fishing. The liveliness of the bait as well as presentation are everything. Another reason I fish narrow reels is because of balance. It's much easier for me to grind away on a reel with a tight drag that's not torquing. Wider reels can be a pain for me to grind on. You can be fighting the reel torque more than the fish. That's my 2 cents...ymmv. :)

Mac53

Some of the comments around casting got me to thinking.  One of the approaches used on the Yankee Captain is to get your bait as far away from others as possible.  I choose the Newell because I thought it would facilitate my throwing the bait far enough away from the crowds and increase my chances on finding that one prized isolated loner cruising about.  Can anyone provide any basic details on the variables of throwing a bait from a Newell reel?  Do I need thumb protection of any sort.  Can I just fling it underhanded, sidearmed etc?

This one question can have major impact on finding the pool winner so it is real important to me.  What do you guys say?

Mac53

I figure most of the forum members that participate in this specific section not only know the reels mechanical
workings but also know it from a user perspective. I can't think of a better place to ask a question about a Newell then here! 

Mac

Newell Nut

If you were here I could teach you and then you have to practice. My buddy Larry that I taught is casting great now but it takes some work. You do need the right kick from the rod and that is why I recommended a softer one for your 300. The Calstars will work nice. You need to learn to use the rod and not force the cast. You have to feel the equipment and learn the thumb action. The first time you get excited and force a cast you have a big bird nest. Kind of like driving a stick shift. Takes coordination.