Grilled Whole Pompano & Fried Bluefish

Started by ChileRelleno, May 03, 2015, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Fished yesterday, caught a few fish which demanded a good lunch today.

Whole pomps, gutted, washed, dried.
Sea salt, garlic powder, lime juice and olive oil, generously covered inside & out.
Wrap in aluminum foil and grill over high heat for 10-15min per side depending on size of fish.
Skin peels right off and the meat lifts off the bones.
One of the most delicious fish in the Gulf.

Filleted Blues
Dip fillets in egg wash, dredge in seasoned flour
Fry till golden and flaky
Quit listening to people who say Blues are trash.

Money shots

I ate heart healthy, grilled fish & salad.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

bestout

The monsters in my head are scared......

rjones

pompano are great tasting fish, but more importantly they are fun to catch out of the surf.
Rob

ChileRelleno

Fun to catch is almost an understatement with Pomps.
Man do these little fish put up a fight,and their eating quality is as good as their fight.

My favorite Pomp combo is:
Reel: Penn 5500SS with 12# mono
Rod: BP Offshore Angler - Inshore Extreme, 8'6", 12-30#, 3/8-2oz, MH

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

bluefish69

I don't totally say no to Blue Fish. I say cut the deep Red Blood that is between the skin & meat out before cooking. You will taste the difference. As far as me eating one if it's bigger than 12" I will give it to you.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

ChileRelleno

I like Blues about 12-18", no bigger, these are perfect for fillets and taste great.
Family doesn't seem to mind a little blood meat, probably because of the seasonings.
I almost always deep fry Blues, don't really care for them prepared other ways.

Ragnar Benson:

bestout

Blues are too fishy for me.  The most fun about pompanos go catching sandfleas at night. :)
The monsters in my head are scared......

thorhammer

love a blue fried fresh. i cut throat and drain pretty quick after catching, seems to help. also helps hugely not to let the meat directly contact your ice; it will stay a bit firmer.