Sunglasses on the water....Prescription Eyewear Users

Started by sundaytrucka, May 04, 2015, 04:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I was just wondering in general what you guys use for sunglasses on the water; more directly, what options do those who have to where prescription eye glasses 24/7 use?

I was looking at getting prescription polarized sunglasses done, but the cost is prohibitive, $375 just for the lenses, that is with a 30% AAA discount, and that is not including the frames; so I set out looking for a much more frugal option  Sunglasses are great to have, but I do not wear them enough to justify spending in the $500-$600 range for a pair of prescription polarized.

So I was looking at clip on glasses and thought that is a great option, but found the size match up to my current glasses difficult, one was found to fit, the models that clip onto the bridge of the glasses looked weak and poorly made, all these were in the $9 to $40 range, so I cannot expect too much in terms of quality.

Stopped at Lenscrafters to check out some more clip-ons, when the sales associate mentioned fit over polarized sunglasses, I have never heard of fit-overs before. Styling was pretty good, and they covered my prescription glasses entirely, I found a pair that were most comfortable and proceeded to checkout. I was expecting to pay in the $100+ range, but she rang it up for $49.99 and with my AAA discount came out to $38 and change, with tax.

I would highly recommend checking out fit-over polarized glasses, if you do not already have a solution, for those that wear prescription eyewear. Sorry for being winded, just wanted to share what I found in my dilemma.

Here is the brand they have at Lenscrafters, and sell elsewhere. I am happy with them thus far, I went with standard gray lenses, but they say mirror blue/green and the mirror copper/brown work best on the water.

http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

alantani

i have prescription shades.  it's also important to have a strap so you don't loose them. 

years ago i fished on one of the salmon charter boats and there was an old man fishing with us.  he got really sick and went to the rail to throw up.  he went back to rail again to hurl and he lost his glasses.  the third time he leaned over, he lost his teeth!!!  oh, and he never did catch a salmon...   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

I've got a pair of Costa del Sol polarized with a bifocal reader insert. On the water I really just need to be able to tie a knot and these work fine and my distance vision is not that bad.
Day to day I wear progressive transition lenses which on the water don't seem to work as well as as the costa del sol.
If I quit buying rod and reels for a month, I'll get the ones I like in prescription. Not cheap!

Aiala

Quote from: alantani on May 04, 2015, 05:23:45 PM
I have prescription shades.

Same here; two pairs. Being from Palm Springs, I live in them.  8)

It's also important to have a strap so you don't lose them.

CRUCIAL!! Get some Croakies or similar. The sight of your glasses disappearing into the depths is something you never want to experience.  :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

i have prescription shades.  it's also important to have a strap so you don't loose them. 

years ago i fished on one of the salmon charter boats and there was an old man fishing with us.  he got really sick and went to the rail to throw up.  he went back to rail again to hurl and he lost his glasses.  the third time he leaned over, he lost his teeth!!!  oh, and he never did catch a salmon...   :-\
That's because Salmon are not susceptible to chumming... Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

Quote from: Aiala on May 04, 2015, 07:14:23 PM
I have prescription shades.

Same here; two pairs. Being from Palm Springs, I live in them.  8)

It's also important to have a strap so you don't lose them.

CRUCIAL!! Get some Croakies or similar. The sight of your glasses disappearing into the depths is something you never want to experience.  :-\

~A~

If my prescription glasses fell overboard I wouldn't be able to see them!

I either wear contacts with real sunglasses or have clipons for my prescription glasses held on by rare earth magnets.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Todd Jacobsen

Just received my reader sun glasses Saturday. I went to flea bay and typed in reader sunglasses many options. As others stated get something to hold them on.

Dominick

I spent more than $300.00 on polarized prescription sunglasses. After about a year the polarization started to wear off.  I went back to the opticians and was told that the lab only warrants them for 90 days.  After a discussion with the owner of the store he agreed to send them to the lab for $50.00.  That really .... me off.  I know that he was going to send them to the lab and get them to redo them for free and pocket the 50 bucks.  Needless to say they lost me as a customer forever.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

fsrmn

I wear Rx sunglasses when I remember to bring them. I also carry a polarized clip-on in my tackle bag in case I forget to switch before I leave shore. I use Zennioptical.com for the RX glasses, the prices are great. Another place is 39dollarglasses.com.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nice find. It's a solid ides and it'd very sleek. I just use contacts with sunglasses, makes it much easier

sundaytrucka

I have an aversion to putting things in my eye, as much as it would help and make a sunglasses purchase/use easier, never could do contacts. I definitely need the Croakie type straps, will look into them, thanks for mentioning the need for straps.

Edit:

"That's because Salmon are not susceptible to chumming..." Dominick

HAHAHA!!! Read that twice and just got it. Lol
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Dominick

Thanks Sunday I crave appreciation for my humor.  Dominick

UKChris

Polarising 'wearing off'? i thought it was an inherent part of the construction of the lens. I have cheap polarised sunglasses (not prescription) and they have been through abuse for many years without any loss of polarising power.

When I last bought a pair of prescription specs I had a 'free' pair of polarising sunglasses to the same prescription for free - still have them and need them to read in the sun, or tie knots!

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Do you really have to spend a lot of money to get good polarized lenses? 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."