First fishing (crabbing) day with my son

Started by Bryan Young, December 15, 2010, 11:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I'd prepared several crab snares to catch some dungees off Pacifica Pier.

Then, this morning, I couldn't find the crab measuring tool, so I had to whip one up from stainless steel rods that I have.

Then off we went.

Man, it was a beautiful day.

Relaxing after setting up, then sonny wanted to reel something in, not 5 minutes later.  Wham, keeper dungee

Did I say, what a day?

Well, sonny was tired of waiting and wanted to go riding in the car, so we packed up and left 3 hours later.  Only one crab in the hole.  I need ot tak my son fishing for crappy or something that there's a lot of action so he's not so bored.  Was a great day with sonny.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Rods were BareFoot spinner jigging rods.  Reels were Okuma VS45 reels.  One spooled with 15# Yozuri Hybrid and the other with 20# Pro Power spectra.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

I like sonny's method of pier fishing!

Way to go Bryan - get the kids outdoors and let 'em learn about the fun stuff!  8)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

waitaminnit.....  you can weld stainless steel??????
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

go for him al,if bryan is telling pork pies hit him with a shower of upper cuts.haha

Keith K

Right on Bryan.  Pretty soon he'll be running gear with Manny!

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on December 16, 2010, 05:48:42 AM
waitaminnit.....  you can weld stainless steel??????
Brazing Stainless Steel.  Learned online with the help from Eric Geller (the tackle master) via emails.   I'm sure you know him.  He's a side teacher like you, except with making your own tackle and jigs.

Quote from: Keith K on December 16, 2010, 02:32:15 PM
Right on Bryan.  Pretty soon he'll be running gear with Manny!
That's what I am hoping so that I can just sit back and relax.

don309

Bryan,,You have the right idea! Took my now adult daughter trout fishing. she lasted about 2 hrs, and didn't want to go again. Took her to a small mouth spot, I knew held alot of fish. She still hits the water.

Alto Mare

Hey Bryan, you know what it's all about, they will cherish those memories for the rest of their lives. Sonny did well, when my son was his age he only lasted as long as the snacks and that wasn't wery long. Did you make the snares also?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Visero

I have a small TIG rig that can weld stainless, worked as a welder for 17 years in oil and gas and a year in aircraft before going back to school and getting into IT.  Let me know if I can be of service.  At one time I could weld razor blades together.  Took the American Airline welding test and fused two pieces of stainless togeather so fine that the welding inspector told me I forgot to complete the test.  He had to hold it up to the light to see the joint!

Now, be advised I am out of practice but it's like riding a bike you never lose it.

Mark

ps Many thanks to Alan and his infinite knowledge or reals, I really enjoy reading the posts.  My friend side I've been spending more time messing with my fishing rigs than fishing! LOL

wallacewt

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 27, 2011, 03:26:45 PM
Hey Bryan, you know what it's all about, they will cherish those memories for the rest of their lives. Sonny did well, when my son was his age he only lasted as long as the snacks and that wasn't wery long. Did you make the snares also?
Yup, I also made the snares.  I didn't like the ones you buy.  The ones you buy come with 300# or 400# snare lines, and I like 100# because it slides easier and stays put, the larger diamter springs open and you have to keep the snare tight.  Not good for kids fishing because they cannot reel in as fast.

Mark, where are you located?  May need your assistance in the future.

Alto Mare

Bryan, I just received one and I see what you mean about the snares. I have crimpers and lines, I 'm  going to make a few. What's the usual size for the snare? The loop on the one that I just pourchased appears to be too small, it's about 4" round, yours look wider . I never used these before, just want the kids to have some fun this year, it also helps me not to have to ride them around all day, they love that, but my wallet can't keep up with the cost of gas. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Mine are about 4" round as well.  You can go larger if you want, but I don't think it will be necessary.  Here's the youtube video that I used to learn from.  I made some adjustments and now have some new ideas.  I was thinking of making a few that are 1.5" wide by 6" long.  so that I can put on more snares and possibly hook up more crabs that gather to eat.  Also while fishing, I saw theses guys use some snares that were 1" wide by 7" long.  Unfortunately, they didn't let me get that close to check it out.  But I have some other ideas that I will be trying if these work in Hawaii for Samoan crabs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_mHJsQ-EYc&feature=related

Alto Mare

Nice video with plenty of details. The 7" x 1' cage makes sense, we should be able to do 4 snares per side. After taking another look at mine, I think that a 4" loop is probably best, we don't need them to get tangled, these ones that Ihave stay in place nicely. I'm sure that in no time, Sonny or my kid will be showing us how to customise things....just to prove us wrong. ;D ;D Thanks Bryan!