Biggest bluefish I ever seen

Started by newport, May 17, 2015, 05:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Good Job on that Blue Newport! ;)
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Very nice!  The Mid-Atlantic has been on FIRE this year with these chopper blues.  A true blast to catch.  My biggest this year was 39"  ended up getting a release citation from DE for it.  I only kept a 31" fish this year due to it swallowing my favorite kastmaster, haha.  Looks like they've pretty much moved out though, some stragglers behind I've heard but not the big schools anymore (as least in the DE bay area.

Thanks for sharing!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

newport

Thanks guys, it's been a fun spring. Unfortunately, it's been winding down, but the action lasted for quite a while so I'm happy. The biggest bluefish the local tackle shop weighed in so far was 17.3 lbs and 38". Makes me wish I had it weighed in, oh well. I think I will be taking it easy and do some carp fishing this memorial day weekend, as it around that time where a 45 minute trip to the beach can take 2 or 3 hours.

BMITCH

Newport, nice gator. Beach or boat?? If that's a surf caught blue...that's one helluva fight. Nice fish. Just heard the bass are up on bunker right now. Can't get there...too much work :((
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

newport

Hi Mitch, I was casting across the inlet from the sod bank, and the current was really ripping. One of the reasons why I love fishing inlets. I said I wasn't, but I may take a night time drive to the beach and see if I get into any big bass. I just hope the wind calms down then.

Reel 224

It's been so windy on the pier the fishing is almost imposable unless your casting led and cut bait. Really slow for Striper this season here, Blues are kicking the crap out of the bait. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Joe, blues will give you more entertainment, but when I see stripes they do excite me a little more ;D.

Newport, 42" is a nice one, that could probably take the hole hand off if not careful... very nice.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mike1010

That is certainly the biggest Jersey tarpon I've seen.

BMITCH

Quote from: mike1010 on May 23, 2015, 03:29:48 PM
That is certainly the biggest Jersey tarpon I've seen.

:D ;D

Those early season fish ( racers, cause the lean and mean ) are hungry and STRONG!! Good thing these fish don't get much bigger than this....we would be on the menu if that were the case !!  :o

Reel 224

I have heard of swimmers being bit by Blues in the surf when they were in a feeding frenzy. Blues are a veracious fish and great fighting fish for most anglers. I like catching them at times but not to eat, only because of pollution, especially mercury.....if I spelled that correctly. I didn't mean the car. Got to watch out for the spelling police. ;D Small Blues in the 1# TO 2# Range are the best eating fish and are less likely to have high levels of Mercury in them, what we call snapper Blues here.

I personally like eating anything from the ocean, but these days you have to be careful. :(   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

I've never eaten one, but they make a great shark bait. ;D
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Small snappers make great Fluke bait also.

Shark Hunter

I mean really good Shark Bait! Elephants eat peanuts. This one just happened to be a fresh Blue.
Life is Good!

BMITCH