UK Tunny Tackle

Started by UKChris, May 18, 2015, 03:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

From way back when giant bluefin tuna were caught off Yorkshire.

I now have 500 yards of 72-thread line to go with my 5" Hardy tunny hooks.
I might one day get a swivel or two if I'm lucky, but the rods and reels from those days are are rare as hens' teeth and more expensive than, well, anything new. So, my display is likely to be a bit restricted...

Tiddlerbasher

Chris I have a Hardy Bros Palakona boat rod from the 1933 (I think). Partly stripped - ready for restoration when I pluck-up the courage :D
It's surprising how few of the lined nickel rings were fitted (far fewer than a modern rod). Teamed up with a Scarborough reel - would you like to be towed around the North Sea for several hours (all day :o) in a rowing boat ???
How are your restoration skills on Palakona steel cored split (built) cane? It's phyically complete (except the red rubber butt) but looks like crap. If I can't get around to finishing the job I may be willing to part with it. Let me know what you think.

Chris.

UKChris

Given what those rods had to tackle in normal use, I think any sympathetic restoration will look great though I would urge using good old-fashioned valspar or copal varnish and not modern hi-build epoxy. I hope the cane itself it intact and all the glue lines holding firm because I always worried that the steel core might burst out (vivid imagination!) when the rod was well bent. Still, I guess it is unlikely to be used in anger again, but spend its days as a display piece of angling history.

If I was undertaking such a project, I'd be tempted to give Hardy a call and see what wisdom they could impart to ensure the finished rod looks good but not brand, spanking new; keep the patina on the metalwork but no corrosion, that sort of thing.

Good luck - do let me know how it goes. But yes, there were few rings fitted, even for a rod to use with the reel 'under' rather than 'over'.

The last Hardy tunny rod I saw was asking £2,500 but it didn't sell. It was in unused condition (or highly restored, I couldn't tell). Way out of my price range :'(

btw Do you remember seeing the photo of the British angler lifting his daughter clear off the ground with the tip of his tunny rod?

Cheers