Drag Fathom 25n

Started by Rivverrat, May 20, 2015, 07:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

OK I just found out Dawn at Smooth Drag might have them

TomT

Riverrat,
I am way past my prime fighting weight and 74 years old. ;) ;D  I did some of these guys drag tests to determine the drags on a few of my reels.  At 20#'s of drag, I could not crank the handle--so the drag was determined by backing up with the reel.  You guys actually fishing that amount of drag is simply amazing to this old man.
TomT

Rivverrat

Tom, I've stopped doing that. When I first started using these 25N's I made sure one of them received more use than the others. Meaning, if I ever left with just one or was doing any cast & retrieve it was with one particular reel of the 3 that got used. I had the handle extended out long for leverage.    The gears have been replaced in this reel along with a bearing. I no longer fish these reels with the handle in its longest position. I also don't use them for a winch any more. With the 6:1 gears on the Fathoms they don't lend themselves well to winching fish any way. I have started letting the rod do the work by pulling smoothly. I have found this much easier over all on my  reels.
The other issue with slow gears is while you can winch fish in the slower ratio doesn't take up enough line fast enough to clear them from the house of logs & other trash the fish I'm after live in. I'm not fishing straight down but out in front of me in very shallow water.
Tom I don't know what reels you have but I bet if you had say a Makaira you wouldn't have much trouble at all with cranking the handle at a high drag setting with the reel in low gear.
In my opinion, based on my use I would say using the Fathom star drags with 6:1 gears to winch in fish is abuse. Some may think differently. But I wont do it any more with the reels I'm using at the present time. Things seem to loosen up fairly quickly.....Jeff  

foakes

Jeff --

Most of us naturally concentrate on our reels -- but I think you have hit the nail on the head when relating your technique for pulling the Hogs from the Logs.

It takes a solid, but slightly flexible and capable rod -- with backbone in reserve -- along with an experienced feel for the fish, underwater terrain, and structure.

All components need to be working together -- Rod, Reel, Line, Leader and Hook hardware -- and the fisherman's technique and experience.

Sounds like you have it down.

Looking forward to a new record soon!  I think there is a giant just lurking along those log sets -- larger than you or anyone else realizes.

And it will not be luck that brings him home -- it will be your preparation in regards to what seems like overkill to the average angler -- along with skill and knowledge.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop -- and good luck in your quest.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

My FA25N has 4:1 gears  ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Keta I've thought long & hard on placing a lower ratio gear set in my 25N's. I decided after using a friends granny geared rigs that for my purpose & style it doesn't work well.  I plant my feet & with a proper 7'- 8' rod along with timing & working the rod & reel in unison I have found the higher ratio gear are most beneficial in keeping the line tight & their head pointed towards me.

The issue is if my timing is off just a bit between working the rod & turning the handle on the reel I've lost the battle at that point. 
It's quite funny some times when you get the since the fish is thinking & at times just gets angry.....Its the times I'm at the top of my game & the fish is being worked & seems to know it... unable to go left or right...& all of a sudden like they they put it in R for race & in FULL BLAST mode they come charging straight at me, pushing a  small wake of water in front of them with top tip of their tail some times piercing the surface..... It makes my heart race & has kept me wide eyed awake at night just thinking about it.

Its past midnight & a 5 year old little boy gets out of bed to go look at his rod & reel. He cant sleep, the anticipation & excitement of fishing The River with his grandpa in the morning is far more than any person should have to suffer through......45 years later its not got any better. That anticipation & excitement felt 45 years ago still resides inside this man. When winter thaws & it begins to warm a bit & I'm out for first time of the year.....grandpa is gone now but that 5 year old little boy is still there.....Jeff

Keta

4:1 isn't quite "granny gear" and at one time was considered high speed.  For most of my needs 4:1 is just about right.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Yeah, Lee & Jeff --

1.6 or 2.5/1 are what I consider Granny -- and has its use when very large fish are involved.

4/1 is standard Jigmaster ratios -- and was considered a happy medium between regular and higher speeds.

I still think 4/1 is about optimum for a majority of fishing.  You have a stronger gear, with larger teeth -- and less prone to stripping under heavy pressure.

Might consider trying 4/1 gears in just one of your reels -- along with a longer crank arm and good handle grip.

You may be surprised -- with your good technique of rod horsing, this might be the bomb.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

No 4:1 is not what I would consider granny gears for a reel. But my friends being 1:1   &  2:? is .

Fred, I Think I will give 4:1 gears a try in one of my reels. Ill see what Black Pearl has. Or I mean Pro Challenger

I'm still waiting on my Cal's Grease & TSI 321 to get here. Hopefully next week.

day0ne

Lee, where did you get 4:1 gears for the fathom? I have Black Pearls 4.8:1 gears but wouldn't mind 4:1.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Rivverrat

I wondered about that myself but just assumed he meant the 4.8:1 from Alan, Black Pearl. Knowing Lee had purchased 25N gears fro him.

Keta

Quote from: day0ne on May 23, 2015, 05:40:57 AM
Lee, where did you get 4:1 gears for the fathom? I have Black Pearls 4.8:1 gears but wouldn't mind 4:1.

I meant 4.8:1, I have a first run set.  Thanks RR.

Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Guys does this this stuff look like Cal's Drag Grease? I purchased it from a place I've not done business with before.
I want to be sure before using it.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 23, 2015, 07:18:31 PM
Guys does this this stuff look like Cal's Drag Grease? I purchased it from a place I've not done business with before.
I want to be sure before using it.
I thought Cal's grease comes in tan and purple color.

Keta

That's the color my Cal's Lite is, kind of muddy purple.

Mark Twain