Which Pier Gaff should I use

Started by Reel 224, May 22, 2015, 03:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Since I am fishing on a Naval pier that is about 15-20 feet off the water at it's low tide, I am wondering what would be the best type of gaff system to have. I have a Para shoot cord and treble hook now but I'm not feeling that confident in using it for larger fish like Blues and Bass. Any suggestions on Gaffs and where I may be able to get them would be appreciated. I could also make one if anyone can tell me where I may be able to get parts like Aluminum rod so I can make it two piece for transportation.

Even if anyone has made something for piers and give me a suggestion, it would help. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

I remedied my own results by buying a 1-1/2" dowel to add to the already made gaff that I have making it 21' , so problem solved. I wasn't really planing on using that gaff since it was originally made for another purpose but hey that was the least expensive solution  ;) 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

How about that Joe you have a thread all to yourself.  Start and answer your own question.  Good job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

rodent

go to S. Tokunaga website, shoreline fishing, ulua fishing gear. they have two types of gaffs that we use here in Hawaii to gaff fish from the cliffs.  one is your regular hook type gaff and the other catches the swivel on you line, a little risky if your line has weakened.

rjones

Not sure if you are stuck on the gaff idea, but I use a pier net with a long line and have pulled up several large blue fish.
Rob

otownjoe

We used gaffs pier fishing all the time when I was growing up.With all the regulations I now use a round net instead. I still have the rope gaffs in the picture .there's not much you couldn't bring up with them if you have enough people to pull on the ropes.I use the small one to stick the fish and get it under control. Then you can take your time and get a good stick with the big gaff.the round net in the picture is big enough to handle a 4 ft fish.I've used it to land and release many small blacktips and stingrays. regular fin fish are no problem.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on May 22, 2015, 06:19:37 PM
How about that Joe you have a thread all to yourself.  Start and answer your own question.  Good job.  Dominick

;D ;D I'm not going to let my wife read this Dominick, she has told me I answer my own questions all the time, or Ill send her for a tool to help me fix something and when she gets back I have it fixed that really Pees her off >:(. Really I was hoping to get some better suggestions for retrieving our catch and just got impatient and came up with adding to the gaff I already have. I see I have some responses that are helpful so I may end up doing what someone else has suggested.

You got me pegged right though, I should know better with you on board. :D ;D   

Reel 224

Quote from: rodent on May 22, 2015, 09:40:18 PM
go to S. Tokunaga website, shoreline fishing, ulua fishing gear. they have two types of gaffs that we use here in Hawaii to gaff fish from the cliffs.  one is your regular hook type gaff and the other catches the swivel on you line, a little risky if your line has weakened.

rodent I tried that web site and didn't get anything, maybe I didn't do something right but I typed it in as you wrote it. Is it S. Tokunaga or shoreline fishing?

rodent

Go to www.tokunagastore.com, shoreline fishing, ulua fishing, scroll down to items seven and twelve, this gives you the type of gaffes we use here in Hawaii on the steep cliffs.  Basically you twist the gaff onto your line and let it down and pull on the rope to gaff your fish.  The gaff in item twelve, slide it down and it catches onto your swivel, you pull your fish from the swivel to your hook.  If your leader is caffed you may break off.  I see there are no prices, I guess you contact them to get a quote.  Sorry for the delay been out fishing, with no luck.  The first gaff is something that you could fabricate if you have welding skills.  Looking at the swivels two photos down gives you the idea on how to attach the gaff to your main line.

Tiddlerbasher

I use a square drop net when pier fishing.
Similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storm-Deluxe-Drop-Beach-Fishing/dp/B00MJ0YS0C

The square shape stops it from rolling around on the pier structure ;)

Reel 224

I always was concerned about drop nets as far as being able to control them enough to either get it under the fish or be able to get the fish to the net, but I need to do something to save the fish instead of gaffing them. 

Tiddlerbasher

Load the bottom of the net with lead weights (on mine there is a 'tunnel' just for that purpose - I sealed of the end of the tunnel with a cable tie). I used 3 off 6oz leads. That will sink straight down and if the wind starts blowing that off target I'd rather be in a bar :D

Bryan Young

I have this type of slide gaff that is posted in Tokunaga's website.

I have also used a slide with a large treble hook attached to the swivel to a jump ring as a slide gaff as well.

And my friends use a barrel Swivel gaff system.  It slides down your line and when you pull up, your swivel will wedge in the barrel and you pull the fish up by the barrel swivel.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel 224

I have to be careful about keeping shorts when it comes to striped Bass the cut off here is one fish 28" and one equal to 43" or better so 27-3/4" can get you a nice fine and on your second fish that 1/4" can result in the same fine. So gaffing is not an option when we are fishing for Stripe Bass, anything else no problem. That is why I like using a single hook pole gaff...I have control of the gaff and can catch the fish in the lower jaw without harming him to the point of killing him, eyeballing a fish from 15' is hard to Imposable to know his exact size. :o