Gearing Up

Started by MarkT, May 28, 2015, 04:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Now that we're within a few weeks of the trip it's time to finalize the list of fishing 'stuff' to take.
My semi-final take as of now is:

Bait & YoYo
20# Penn 525Mag/Phenix PSW808MH <-- bait
25# Avet MXJ/Phenix PSW809H <-- bait and making bait
30# Avet SX Raptor/Cousins CJB75ML <-- main bait stick for YT & Tuna
30# ProGear 280/Phenix PSW809H
40# Penn Fathom 25NLD2/Phenix PSW760H <-- heavy bait and yoyo
50# Avet JX Raptor/Phenix PSW700XH <-- heavy bait and yoyo

Bass & Misc (Plastics, Surface iron, Poppers)
30# Shimano Calcutta TE300/Phenix PSW807ML <-- plastics
40# Daiwa Lexa 400HSP/Phenix PSW809XHJ <-- plastics, poppers, waxwings, stick baits, megabaits
40# Shimano Torium 20/Phenix PSW909XHJ <-- surface iron
40# Penn Battle 6000/Shimano Teramar TSS80XXH <-- token spinner for whatever!

Extra reels
Shimano Calcutta 400 w/20#
Daiwa Lexa 30HSP w/30#
YTS w/topless Tib frame & 40#

Extra line: 20/25/30/40/50/60# Fluoro, 20/25/30/40/50# Mono

Plano boxes for tackle:
1 3600 box hooks
1 3600 box Plastics
1 3600 box Flat Fall/Butterfly/Knife jigs
1 3600 box Megabaits/Krocs
1 3600 double height box surface/yoyo iron/torpedo sinkers
1 3700 box Poppers/stick baits/Rapala Magnum XRaps/Halco's
1 3700 box tools/line
They all fit in my Albacore tackle bag + a backpack.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Porthos

Conventional:
1. Daiwa 30H (3+1 CF stack, 65lb braid main)
2. Daiwa 300H (3+1 CF stack, 65lb braid main)
2. Daiwa 400H (3+1 CF stack, 65lb braid main)
3. Daiwa 400H (5+1 CF stack, 80lb braid main)
4. Daiwa 600H (5+1 CF stack, 100lb braid main "just-in-case" reel);
5. Daiwa 600H (5+1 CF stack, 100lb braid main "just-in-case" reel);
6. "You know the one" Penn Monofil 27 (50lb braid main)
7. Penn 970 (50lb braid main)

Level wind:
1. Okuma CT-45L (65lb braid main)
2. Okuma SD-55L (100lb braid main)

Spinners:
1. Okuma CD-65 (50lb braid main)
2. Okuma CD-90 (50lb braid main)
3. Fin Nor LT100 (50lb braid main)
4. Fin Nor LT100 (100lb braid main)

Conventional rods:
1. Okuma CT-T-601M
2. Okuma CT-T-601MH
3. Okuma  CT-C-661MH
4. Okuma CT-T-561H (x2)
5. Okuma BG-T-601M-1

Spin rods
1. Daiwa CC701XHFS
2. Daiwa STJ70XHFS
3. Daiwa STW70MHS
4. Quantum BROS70M

MarkT

I guess I could take a few extra reels just to keep pace if I have the space.  Like a 525 Mag and/or ProGear 255 for 20#, a ProGear 280 for 30#, an Avet JX 6/3 or Daiwa Saltiga 40LD2 for 40#. If anyone is short of a rig chime in. If I can't help you I'm sure Alan can. I have lots of rigs for Calicos!

Aiala

Well, I didn't own any Newells, which was intolerable, so I won a nice G229-F on fleaBay, which Fred graciously detailed for me, and I'll be bringing it on the SOA!

Two more weeks... it's almost here! 

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Porthos

My gear will be packed and ready by 6/12 which leaves 6/13-6/14 to prep any loaner gear.

Speak or forever hold your peace.

I'll text and remind Alan on 6/13 to bring all his intended inventory and avoid a repeat of last year... ;D

Big Tim

I'll text and remind Alan on 6/13 to bring all his intended inventory and avoid a repeat of last year... ;D
[/quote]

Neither myself or Lee will be drinking with Alan the night before, so you all should have plenty of gear...Enjoy the trip my friends  ;D

Big Tim

Wally15

I'm flying in from Georgia on Sunday afternoon, and I'm not bringing ANY rods, reels, or tackle. So I'll be depending on loaner equipment.
Since I'm not familiar with west coast fishing, if someone who's experienced with what basic tackle I'll need, and is hitting a tackle store this week anyway, would volunteer to pick up a basic "starter kit" of tackle for me, I'd certainly appreciate it. Jigs, lures, hooks, braid, mono/floro, lead, etc., whatever you'd pick out for yourself is fine. If I'm using someone's equipment all week, the least I can do is replace the line. Is there a decent selection sold on the boat?
Let me know if there are any takers.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

MarkT

Alan will be giving out some Megabait style jigs. I have lots of 2/0 hooks as well as surface and yoyo jigs if you want to try them. YT don't require fluoro like Tuna, so I wouldn't worry about that. I have spools of line if you need some for a leader. I can bring an extra Calico bass rig if you want... a Curado 300/Teramar 8'er. Any other rigs you'd need too, 20-50#. Alan will probably bring enough extra rods/reels for half the boat so I wouldn't worry about it.

alantani

Quote from: Wally15 on June 07, 2015, 01:17:13 AM
I'm flying in from Georgia on Sunday afternoon, and I'm not bringing ANY rods, reels, or tackle. So I'll be depending on loaner equipment.
Since I'm not familiar with west coast fishing, if someone who's experienced with what basic tackle I'll need, and is hitting a tackle store this week anyway, would volunteer to pick up a basic "starter kit" of tackle for me, I'd certainly appreciate it. Jigs, lures, hooks, braid, mono/floro, lead, etc., whatever you'd pick out for yourself is fine. If I'm using someone's equipment all week, the least I can do is replace the line. Is there a decent selection sold on the boat?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

bring a change of clothes, a shaving kit, and personal items that you need for the week.  do not bother with a single scrap of fishing tackle and do not buy anything when you arrive in san diego.  i even have a bottle of wild turkey 101 for you! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tom McKinney

I too will have a bunch of stuff, especially yo yo iron that I can loan out. And  I can bring set ups for mike as well

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Wally15 on June 07, 2015, 01:17:13 AM
Thanks in advance,
Mike

We have a real quality group of people on this trip, I think the only dilemma you will have with gear is what to turn down.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.