Help me pick an old reel for modern line

Started by Tom McKinney, May 29, 2015, 06:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

I know nothing about spinners and what reel can do what.  I do know that with carbon fiber drags and spectra braided line the capacity and capability of some reels is much greater than when first sold.  I also know that some reels might snap under that stress because the other components can't take it.

Today I saw a mitchell 302 for 20 bucks and so it got me thinking.  What's the best reel out there for 25 bucks?  By best I mean can handle  200 hundred yards of 65 lb spectra and put out the drag to fish a leader of 25lb mono.  40lb mono would be even better. 

Thanks

RowdyW

Try a Daiwa Sweepfire 4000 b. 2 years off the beach & piers & still going strong. It's loaded with 60# braid & 30# shock leader. Check them out on ebay.$20-$25. When it wears out just chuck it & buy a new one. You are better off with new then dumping money into an old reel that might need parts that are hard to find. Smoothdrag even has CF washers for the Sweepfire.      RUDY

Shark Hunter

I'm with Rudy. for $25. Its the sweepfire. I have two of them.
Life is Good!

Porthos

From time to time, the next step up, the Daiwa Crossfire, is on special at Big 5 for $25; 300yds of 40lb braid, 20lb mono top shot. Fishing it at 8lbs drag is OK. Pushing it OR the Sweepfire (I have the 3500) to 10lbs or more is an iffy affair due to the graphite frames.

I'm bringing my Crossfire 4000 on the SOA to see how it fares with the Calicos at Cedros...will be interesting to see what happens if something bigger hooks up.  ::)

foakes

Sometimes, the cheapest isn't always the right choice --

And sometimes old isn't always good for our new modern braids and high drag numbers needed --

Everything depends on one's budget -- and what they want out of a reel.

And everyone is different --

A strong consideration would be the Fin-Nor Lethal 100 -- not the smaller Lethals, since they do not compare even close to the 100.

Personally, I consider this a $300-$400 reel -- at a $130 price point.

Strong aluminum frame, braid ready, CF drag stack capable of large numbers.

Best,

Fred

http://www.tackledirect.com/fin-nor-lt100-lethal-spinning-reel.html
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

I have to agree Fred, by the time you spend money on throwaways you could have invested that money on a good dependable reel that would last much longer and have the ability to make changes. I personally don't subscribe to throwaway products.....but that's just me.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Aiala

I'm bringing three (3) great old veterans on the SOA: Penn 704 greenie, Penn 750SS, and a Garcia Mitchell 402. Can't wait to see how these venerable classics perform... with mono, of course.   :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Porthos

Quote from: foakes on May 29, 2015, 02:36:55 PM
Sometimes, the cheapest isn't always the right choice --

And sometimes old isn't always good for our new modern braids and high drag numbers needed --

Everything depends on one's budget -- and what they want out of a reel.

And everyone is different --

A strong consideration would be the Fin-Nor Lethal 100 -- not the smaller Lethals, since they do not compare even close to the 100.

Personally, I consider this a $300-$400 reel -- at a $130 price point.

Strong aluminum frame, braid ready, CF drag stack capable of large numbers.

Best,

Fred

http://www.tackledirect.com/fin-nor-lt100-lethal-spinning-reel.html

Fred,

I have two LT100's specifically for the features they offer...since I wasn't about to appear before the "treasury committee" to justify a "requisition" of a pair of Spheros, Saragosas, or Stellas in the same size class.  ;)

Here's a better price on the LT100's (where bought my second one):
http://www.srmo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=srmo&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=FIN-NOR-REELS&Product_Code=Q104167

Wai

foakes

That is a great buy, Wai --

Good shopping.

Since these reels came out a little over a year ago, they have received the "strongest" positive reviews from many experts in the trade --

There were a couple of small issues with the early models -- nothing of importance -- and Fin-Nor just stepped up and took care of sending out new parts at no charge.

Too early to tell -- but it looks like Fin-Nor may be taking a page out of the Okuma playbook -- when it comes to solid products and solid customer service.

Sort of like Shimano used to be a few years ago.

This reel makes one realize, that they do not need to spend $300 to $1300 for a quality offshore spinning reel.

One more thing -- even when purchasing a new reel -- do not assume it is ready for your type of fishing.  Our fishing is demanding -- and any reel needs a quick partial disassembly, once over, and pre-service.  Even a Stella -- no shortcuts when doing your prep.

Just my opinions --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

Lethal 100 is a big reel... 300+ yds of 100# specta, 430 yds of 20# mono.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

It takes a big reel to Get it done. JMO
Life is Good!

Reel 224

It takes a big reel to Get it done. JMO

Remember Dynamite comes in small packages. :o ;D IJS
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

newfuturevintage

Quote from: Tom McKinney on May 29, 2015, 06:26:47 AM
Today I saw a mitchell 302 for 20 bucks and so it got me thinking. 

Not the droid you're looking for, but man, for $20, you should still buy it on principle :)