Garcia Mitchell 600 series

Started by Sledge, May 31, 2015, 07:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I doubt that a Mitchell crank nut will fit into a Penn 500 sleeve -- but could be wrong, Joe --

Seems like all you need is a Penn crank nut, and either a lock ring and a lock screw -- or just the screw if it matches up to the scallop pattern diameter.

Might need a little modification -- but it is all very doable.

For me, just have to open up the bins of spare loose parts -- and figure it out by cobbling something together.

Have to have it on my bench, though -- so that might not be an option -- although I would do it for just the shipping cost.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

For sure it works, Fred.  Mo gave the green light earlier in this thread, and I have my Mitchell handle mounted on my Jigmaster.  As Mo pointed out the Mitchell handle nut will fit the Jigmaster sleeve, but with the Penn nut holding the Mitchell handle, the locking screw is too far from the nut to lock it.  So I either need those three Mitchell parts (nut, locker & screw), or use it unlocked.   Shouldn't be a big deal if I can figure out the Mitchell parts and where to get them.  I really like this Mitchell Riptide handle and got a fantastic deal on it.

foakes

Mo is correct, Joe -- I was wrong...

Here are the parts that should work -- and they fit the Penn and vice-versa.

PM me your address -- am heading down to the PO in about an hour -- will get them off.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Here's a picture of the nut locking for the Riptide 4/0.   I think the Mitchell part# is  1068211 (handle nut locker).  it goes completely around the nut, like on an Ambassadeur.

P.S.  I'm just now noticing it is a different shaped head on the nut.  The threads must be the same.  I am going to see if I can find somewhere to order these.

Decker

Well, I found out how to contact Mitchell, and they were able to see me the parts (nut,locker, & screw) for $9 shipped.    Case closed! ;D

Mitchell Factory Service Center
Mitchell Factory Reel Service
1900 18th St.
Spirit Lake, IA 51360
(877) 502-6482

Decker

Posted a summary of my saga of putting a Mitchell Riptide handle on a Jigmaster here:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22755

Thanks for the help, guys!

Rancanfish

Looks good!  Hard to be unique when talking about a Jigmaster, but looks like yours is.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mo65

She looks sweet Joe! Glad you got it figured out. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

perryk

I recently was cleaning a 600 series reel, and when I disassembled the Handle side the pieces fell out before I could see how they all fit.
The Diagram you posted was very helpful in figuring out how to put it back together.
The only thing I cannot figure out is where the small spring (see attached picture)
(Part # 87-697) connects to.
The one side goes through the Part # 81-696 but I cannot see where the other end connects to.
Would you have a picture of where it connects

Thanks

Rancanfish

Perry, the spring end bent like an 'L' goes up thru the hole where you have it now. Rotate it around to the area in the lower part of your pic and using needle nose pliers, compress the spring and stick it in the little slot. (in front of the square tab).

Look close you'll see where it goes.

perryk

Thanks so much for the quick reply

Moved the spring as you mentioned and it works great.

I did have one other question.
The label is missing from the reel and I was trying to figure out exactly with Model# it is, as I would like to order a replacement label

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Perry

Rancanfish

Scroll up and check reply #19, Joe listed Mitchell's contact info.  I used to have some conventional Mitchells, but only have Spidercast bass fishing series stuff left.

perryk

thorhammer

show us a pic, it's a 600, 622, or 624.

perryk

Here are a few pictures
Still needs some significant cleaning

Thanks

Perry