Newell 533

Started by TyeeJim, December 21, 2010, 02:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyeeJim

I'm thinking of purchasing a Newell 533.  Is their a big difference in performance between a 4.6 to 1 and 5.1.  I know the 5.1 has a faster retrieve, but does the 4.6 have any advantages over the 5.1

Thanks Jim

franky

Quote from: TyeeJim on December 21, 2010, 02:45:10 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing a Newell 533.  Is their a big difference in performance between a 4.6 to 1 and 5.1.  I know the 5.1 has a faster retrieve, but does the 4.6 have any advantages over the 5.1

Thanks Jim

Hello Jim,

Depending on the kind of fishing you do and the places you fish.  In theory, the 5.1 gear ratio is faster on the retrieve.  This can be a slight advantage when you're fishing from shore in shallow water places with reef bottom.  It may help you to not snag the bottom as often as a reel with a slower retrieve.  However, if you are fishing for bigger fish, the 4.6 gear ratio suppose to have better torque. 

All in all, lots of guys in Hawaii rather fish with the 4.6 gear ratio because there doesn't seem be be much difference in the speed retrieve....just got to have the endurance and reel faster with your hand.  ;D  However, the 4.6 reels supposedly have less and bigger teeth on the gears to battle the bigger fish.

They both are good reels....its personal preference....

If you're fishing from a boat, I'd go with the 4.6 gear ratio. 

TyeeJim

Thanks Franky, I think I'll go with the 4.6

Jim

alantani

i have the 533 in the higher gear ratio.  it's nice for getting those jigs moving fast.  that sealion really beat the snot out of me, though.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!