How about a cradle reel with a NOS----1960's Penn 349HC

Started by Penn Chronology, June 04, 2015, 12:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

OK, here is how it all happened. I saw a Neptuna Cradle reel on EBay. It seemed to me to be all new parts, but not perfect. When I saw it, I felt this may be a display piece or something like that. So I throw a low bid and watch it for a few days. I put in a snipe at about $150.00 and forget about it.

This is a complete cradle handle assembly built by Neptuna. I have seen this style before. This one happens to have a NOS Penn Left Hand drive Penn 49 mounted in it. That is what started the wheels in my rusty old head turning. Not that I am left handed, but, I know someone that was looking for a mint, left hand drive Penn 49 (they are not that easy to find). This someone, also has a large supply of really nice Penn 349's.

Anyways, The auctions ends and I win the rig for $110 plus $15.00 shipping. In my book that is a good deal.

So now I ask my friend if he wants to trade a NOS Penn 49LH missing a stand and some cross bars for a decent 349HC to mount in this Neptuna cradle and he jumps at the deal.

Let me take a step back here. The cradle assembly I won had a Penn 49LH mounted into a cradle that Neptuna drilled and tapped for a 349. The first thing I had to do when I removed the 49 from the cradle was to Epoxy Putty the extra stand holes that the previous owner drilled into the cradle and clean out the threads of the old 349 stand holes. Now I was ready for the 349HC I was going to mount in this cradle after the trade was done. While I was waiting for the mail runs to be accomplished and for me to have my 349, I started playing with the other reason I bid on this reel.

I have had for years, a custom built wire line trolling rod. It was built on a Lamiglass blank, with carbide guides and a Aftco roller tip and it was a really nice rod. So, I now cut the handle off this perfectly good rod and begin the preparation to install it on my new Neptuna handle. The biggest kink with this build is to get a male locking ferrule that mates with the female ferrule that is epoxied into the Neptuna cradle end. This was another reason I bought this rod. I have a few very old but NOS locking reel seats. I keep all kinds of old junk ;D.

Anyways, I put all these loose ends together and my project has a real possibility of actually having a positive end result. I found a old NOS ferrule that fits. Of course I wind up throwing away a perfectly good locking reel seat because I have stolen the male ferrule from it, filled the 49 holes and cut up my perfectly good trolling rod. Now I am ready to build up my rig.

I check the fit of my parts and the mail arrives. I neglected to mention that I placed an oak dowel about ten inches up the hollow butt of the rod blank to strengthen the rod end and epoxied the oak dowel inside the end of the blank.

After opening the mail I see my friend has treated me very well. He sent me a NOS in the box 1960's Penn 349HC. Needless to say I was very happy with the second part of my deal / trade.

The time has come to start the finishing process of this little project. With the 349 Mounted into the cradle and the new ferrule epoxied to the rod tip base, this rig is ready to go together.

So, I now have a few less parts floating around my shop and new wire line trolling rig to stand in a wall mount until I get another boat or someone gives me an offer I cannot refuse.................... ::)

Tightlines667

Mike,
Nice  :)
I was watching that Neptuna, but neglected to notice the resl was left-handed.  I was sure you would be all over this one regardless.  I am glad to see you won the auction, and it looks like you decinatrly made good use of it.  Cool rod, and that 349 is in beautiful condition. 

Do you actually still go out and troll with wireline?  I have done alot of trolling over the years, including for salmon, but have never used lead or wireline.  I like downriggers.

Thanks for sharing..this is a good example of how plans are supposed to work out.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Superhook

It's not right that one person should have so much talent  :D and I've told you before about showing off. ;D

Great fix and thanks for showing how .

I saw a fishing show where a pro caught his mackerel on wire and the amateur caught his on mono. The pro just dragged his straight into the boat while the amateur fought his for a while.

They cooked them both and they both said the one caught on wire tasted better.  The one dragged in quickly did not have time to build up lactic acid through the body. Something i had never thought about before.

Shark Hunter

Great Job on that Mike. We now know who is the true master. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Superhook on June 04, 2015, 01:59:42 AM
The one dragged in quickly did not have time to build up lactic acid through the body. Something i had never thought about before

Ray,
This is much the reason why the local Hawaii 'meat' fishing style focuses on getting the fish in the boat as quickly as possible.  Heavy gear, heavy drags, rod in gunnel, and handlining as necessary, or hydro assist, greenstick, danglers, ect..  In big value fish, or those destined for the auction floor, or table...fighting time, and care following landing have a big impact on the overall quality of the product, and in the case of big money fish..the price.

Not very 'sporting' though.  I personally prefer catching big fish on light line, in open water.  Where you can truely see what the fish is made of.  Unless destined for release in which case post-release mortality studies clearly show, that shorter 'play' times, along with less gear remaining on the fish greatly increase survivability.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

I did wire line trolling years ago. The tall Penn reels are perfect for it, but it is a old fashioned way to fish. Don't see too many downriggers around Long Island. Wire line will put fish in the boat. It is great for dragging umbrella rigs and catching lots of Bluefish for bait and chum. You have not lived until you try to pull in four 15 pound Blues at one time. I need a fighting chair for that now.

coastal_dan

Too cool Mike.  Looks like all the parts went or came to good homes.  Nice work on the rod!

I still know a few people that wireline for stripers and bluefish.  It puts the dredge/umbrella rig/spreader bar down just a little deeper and yes pulling them in is a bit easier.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Marcq

broadway

Mike,
   I'm one of those old fashion wire liners, and would be happy if you came out on Broadway sometime to stretch her new legs. I'm a lefty (can do both lefty and righty but more comfy lefty) but use right handed reels to wire line due to the upgrades I can put in these babies. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to use her so have no fear we have the gear. ;) You did a great job with that combo, and as much as I did notice the listing I don't have the passion you do for cradled reels, so in my opinion the right guy got it.
Thanks for showing,
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm one of those old fashion wire liners, and would be happy if you came out on Broadway sometime to stretch her new legs. I'm a lefty (can do both lefty and righty but more comfy lefty) but use right handed reels to wire line due to the upgrades I can put in these babies. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to use her so have no fear we have the gear. Wink You did a great job with that combo, and as much as I did notice the listing I don't have the passion you do for cradled reels, so in my opinion the right guy got it.
Thanks for showing,
Dom

Funny thing about cradle reels, the reel winds up being solid as a rock but the rod does not have the backbone of a modern rod, especially if you like leaving it in the rod holder for a bit. Modern game fishing rods are one piece. The blank travels all the way through the rod butt. That makes for a very strong rod. Game fishing rods of the past separate at the handle, meaning that only 3 or 4 inches of the blank are in the ferrule and support the rod tip. So, I understand how you feel about not using a cradle rod, new gear is much stronger.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

QuoteLove the cradles.....WoooHooo....Bill

ME TOO!!!!