Increase Drag Strength in Daiwa Lexa

Started by MudShark7, June 06, 2015, 05:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I have the schematic for the Lexa 300 (BTW they are a nice reel) on my bench right now for one I'm working on but the stack configuration is not clear.  Always start with a keyed washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MudShark7

Keta, as far as I know, unless they have a multi-stack, there is no keyed washer - It's just drag gear, drag then top drag washer. That's the way all my Shimanos and Daiwas seem to be Only on my bigger reels like the Lexa 300 and the Calcutta 400 do they have stacks with tabbed washers in the middle of the stack.
Remember! - You're Unique, Just like Everybody Else!

Keta

Item #63 is the keyed washer, the 100 only has one metal washer, I'm using the 300 schematic.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Steve-O

This reel schematic is similar to the Okuma Citrix 273 .  Only the concave key metal washer with one CF drag washer underneath in the main gear and then another smaller drag washer/spacer under the main gear.  I used my Citrix on feisty, hot fall Coho in Alaska and could not stop them without thumbing the spool on fully tightened drag. Without the multistack drags, IMO, there's not going to be very much stopping power in the small diameter drag washers.

MudShark7

Looks like I can't argue with that. But where do the manufactures get 11 lbs drag from when it won't hold 1/2 that?
And is there any way to upgrade with different materials or by adding thinner washers?
Anyone with actual results doing this?
Thanks for your help

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: MudShark7 on June 07, 2015, 04:00:21 PM
fIsHsTiiCkS, I thought the Carbontex Drags were more for smoothness and not necessarily for increased strength.
If Dawn sends me material for one of these 2 reels, and it works, I will order for all 12 of my Bass Reels!

It does not increase strength as much as havinghavi quality materials in the right place making a huge difference. I second the idea of muli stacks being a lot better, however my tatula is a single a does out on 10lbs

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: MudShark7 on June 07, 2015, 04:37:39 PM
Looks like I can't argue with that. But where do the manufactures get 11 lbs drag from when it won't hold 1/2 that?
And is there any way to upgrade with different materials or by adding thinner washers?
Thanks for your help

Custom washers can always be made, just have to fund someone willing to make them

MudShark7

Well, bottom line is all my reels make a solid hookset except those 2 Lexas, because of the drag

MudShark7

Taking your suggestions, I contacted Dawn. Dawn was kind enough to find some replacement drags that are on the way.
Hopefully they make a substantial difference.
Thanks guys

jcool3

Thanks for your help

I think the state drag ratings for all the lexas 100, 300, 400 are way overrated.

johndtuttle

Quote from: jcool3 on June 11, 2016, 03:04:28 PM
Thanks for your help

I think the state drag ratings for all the lexas 100, 300, 400 are way overrated.

It also depends very much on how much line is out. They all have some standard and for instance Abu Garcia rates their with the spool at 3/4s full for both drag and inches retrieved (ie after a long cast).

Sounds like this Lexa needs a little oomph though if the drag is slipping fishing bucket mouths on the hook set.

nelz

Don't grease the drag and you'll get a bit more # out of it. Btw, Dawn sold me some old leftover original Smoothies for my Millionaire and I noticed they put out more drag than the carbontex. I wish they would still carry them.

thinkwahoo

See if part 63 Key Washer is truly flat.  It may be a little convex, so it's not getting 100% contact with the drag material. One of the ways to check this is on a surfacing table with bluing.

kungajim

Quote from: MudShark7 on June 09, 2015, 07:19:14 PM
Taking your suggestions, I contacted Dawn. Dawn was kind enough to find some replacement drags that are on the way.
Hopefully they make a substantial difference.
Thanks guys

Hey Mudshark...how'd this work out for you?  I too have been fiddling with my lexa 100 and was thinking about upgrading the drag but it already had the one CF drag washer and didn't think that changing the small washer under the main gear to CF would make that much of a difference.  what was your experience?

thx-

Jim
so many baits....so little time

handi2

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 07, 2015, 03:32:55 PM
I would swap out the drags with carbontex from Dawn, yes the under gear as well. Then see what you are getting. Sometimes these washers are warn, even from the factory.

If it's possible to use a Carbontex drag washer with more surface area that's what I recommend. Often times the drag washer itself doesn't fill all the usable area. Many bait casting reels are like this.

If this is so on this reel, and you can measure the size needed, I will send you one.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL