p-line laser minnows

Started by alantani, June 06, 2015, 10:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

That's broomtail.

They are long lived and not as common a catch as they once were but still common unlike BSB. Gill netters get 99% of them.

alantani

i was not aware that it was even an issue.  we board in a week and i will ask, but i would not have kept it if it is a problem.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

no doubt... gotta depend on the crew... I do

MarkT

Google "broomtail grouper California" and there was a Q&A with DFG Biologist Carrie Wilson in the Santa Barbara Independent back in 2010 that says both Gulf and Broomtails are illegal in CA since the 50's when there was a population in La Jolla. They're gone but the law is still on the books. Who knew?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

anglingarchitect

Caught a Couple of Broom Tails in the Abacos last time down there.

johndtuttle

Quote from: MarkT on June 07, 2015, 11:58:35 PM
Google "broomtail grouper California" and there was a Q&A with DFG Biologist Carrie Wilson in the Santa Barbara Independent back in 2010 that says both Gulf and Broomtails are illegal in CA since the 50's when there was a population in La Jolla. They're gone but the law is still on the books. Who knew?

Absolutely correct Mark. I meant to say that Broomtails are very rarely seen in California USA waters...still common south of the border until the gill netters finish their work :(.

SoCalAngler

Nice BT grouper there Alan and with Brian on the gaff....does his arms just keep getting bigger and bigger with age? I saw him work a 129 lb big eye one time without a rod belt, rail or anything, just the rod tucked under one arm and he man handled that fish right to the boat.

Tom McKinney

It burns me that something is illegal for no reason.  Just an old law still on the books, doing nothing but making it a pain for people who legally fish in another jurisdiction.  Aaarrrggghhh!!!!

BonitaBch

That is a Scamp grouper (nickname Broomtail) and those are legal all year in the Gulf of Mexico, limit 4 per day.  Minimum length is 16 inches, so that would be more than legal ....  that is a great catch there Alan 8)
Bonita Beach, FL

MarkT

The gulf's Scamp grouper is a different species than the Broomtail of the west coast.  They do look very similar.
Besides, it's a law of the enlightened state of Klownifornia.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."