first report - June 5-7th "2 Day" Rockfish Charter - Sponsored by California Tac

Started by alantani, June 07, 2015, 10:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

So Jon told me he built this rod with central coast inshore fishing in mind, rockfish, salmon, halibut.  Not an easy thing, I like a soft rod for salmon, like a loom is GL2 or Lamiglass 8-1/2 foot.  On this rock trip I landed a number of good size lines then hooked into a 3-1/2 foot blues shark, then a bigger blue shark, I had this rod doubled over, Jon might have worried for a moment.
  today I got my son and my grandson out for salmon in Monterey bay, fishing has not been good,  in 15 trips this year I have boated 8 salmon and none in the past 7 trips.  I decided to go with the new seeker today and let my son fish the loomis.  It was a good day, first fish came early peeled a lot of line making several runs finally coming to net and weighed in at a true 19lbs on the scale.  The rod handled the fish beautifully, plenty sensitive for my tastes for salmon trolling.  Second fish came about an hour later and my son helped his little guy reel him in to the net, weighed in at 15lbs on the scale.
Great day on the water and as for the rod with the goofy eyes?  If I had placed a custom order for a rod built to my specs this would be it.  That Jon he is a special kinda rod builder,  I didn't know I needed this rod until I fished it a few days, now I won't be going out without it!

Big Tim

Tightlines667

Love it.  I like those GLomis sticks too, very light, sensitive, and a nice quick tip.  That other rod looks like its got a bit more backbone.  I have a reel that matches yours.  Nice to see someone catching with it.  I seem to recall Salmon fishing being a bit of a boom or bust endeavour, but havn't caught one in years.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Wow! Nice salmon.  I need to get out for some salmon.  I will probably get out in the fall when the ocean calms somewhat.  Thanks for sharing the report and photos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Jon Vadney

Awesome report David!  I love seeing the next generation out there enjoying the sport that is all of our passions.

Thank you for the glowing compliments. I'm very happy that you are enjoying the rod and it couldn't have gone to a nicer person.

newfuturevintage

Really glad to hear this was an epic trip!  Equally disappointed to not have been a part of it, but man sounds like an amazing time!

Thanks for the trip report!

David Hall

Quote from: Dominick on June 15, 2015, 03:16:59 AM
Wow! Nice salmon.  I need to get out for some salmon.  I will probably get out in the fall when the ocean calms somewhat.  Thanks for sharing the report and photos.  Dominick

Anytime you like to ride along you just say the word Im out just about every weekend.

David Hall

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 15, 2015, 02:19:11 AM
Love it.  I like those GLomis sticks too, very light, sensitive, and a nice quick tip.  That other rod looks like its got a bit more backbone.  I have a reel that matches yours.  Nice to see someone catching with it.  I seem to recall Salmon fishing being a bit of a boom or bust endeavour, but havn't caught one in years.

Boom or bust describes it perfectly,  In 8 or so trips prior to Sunday, Including Saturday before, Not one bite,
then Sunday, we could have kept on but the little guy age 7 had had his fill for the day.

Bryan Young

I was in Morro Bay and they said the same thing except for Saturday...they had limit of 8 fish on board.  Prior to that, not even a scratch on their baits.

Very nice.  Good to get the kid on some fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ray Ruiz

Had an EPIC trip Jon. And yes in the first pic in this post I'm the one with the floppy hat and glasses . I'm all of 5'8" just to show you how freaking  tall Jon is.

David Hall

Steve-O

Can't believe I missed this trip report.

Sure sounds like my kind of boat trip.

The rockfish were beautiful besides tasting so good. The pic of the Blue ling is outstanding. Did you get any more shots of that one?

The rod David won is awesome and yea those "goofy guides" are the bomb aren't they?

thanks for sharing!