600H refurb

Started by Shark Hunter, June 15, 2015, 04:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I am going into new territory. I tore apart one of my 600H's. The corrosion had found its way into the non handle side plate, but Some WD-40 as cleaner, a brush and a pic, It is ready now.
I put one of Bry's 5 stack kits in, swapped the handle for a 5/0 Kokelar and its ready for some sharks now. I think I'll spool it with straight 50lb mono. I have a nice rod for it.

Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

My pictures are kind of out of order, but you get the idea. I replaced the under gear with Delrin.
I didn't expect the stand to come loose from the frame, but I think its a good thing. Greased all the contact points with the frame. I see a lot of similarities with a penn and then some that are not. These are definitely quality reels. Also, the gear had no lip on the bottom, so that made the stack easy to install. There is a brass washer on top of the sleeve and the main is countersunk with a fiber inside that I replaced with the Delrin. Feels pretty smooth.
Life is Good!

Porthos

Daron,

You do realize you'll be reopening at least one of those 600H's up again once Three se7ens has his insert kit available... ;)

Wai

Superhook

Daron,

Don't know how far back the design goes , 80's for sure and possibly 70's. I think Seiko (Watches) were involved earlier . The Daiwa frame reminds me of the Accurate frames for Penn reels . I have used 400H , 600H & 900H Sealines and they are sturdy and good value for money reels . They are easy to work on and very similar to a Penn . So much so Daiwa must have studied Penn Senators before making their Sealine range.
With the tougher drag it will be even better. Good luck .

Ray

Shark Hunter

I agree Ray,
I think this will be the perfect rig for my wife. Not that its not enough for me, but she is easily intimidated.
No inserts on these Wai. 20lb is enough on this little one.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Paired it with this 50 lb roller rod. Should be a good combo.

Life is Good!

day0ne

Have you noticed that 114H handles will fit the 600H?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

fsrmn

I agree Daron. Bryan's drag kit is plenty for my 600H. The delrin under the main gear and under the star makes it more better. Mine is on a 40-60 roller tip rod. I have a 5/0 Kokelar on my Baja but not on the 600H... yet ;)
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Superhook

Some of the guys I fished with used to put the longer Daiwa 900H handles on their Penn 6/0's.

Shark Hunter

This handle is plenty long enough Ray. The handle is already outside the reel's diameter.
I didn't know the 114H would fit. I'm about out of Lee's arms. I'm holding onto them for the next run of 9/0 frames.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Quote from: day0ne on June 19, 2015, 06:14:22 AM
Have you noticed that 114H handles will fit the 600H?

They fit, but there is a bit of play.  Ill have handles available for the 600H/900H, and the 910 this weekend.  I have a few of each, I just need to get them up on my website this weekend.