Diawa Dogfight 7000H sticky drag!

Started by PE Pete, June 16, 2015, 07:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PE Pete

I recently purchased the Dogfight 7000h which as you probably know is one of the most expensive spin reels on today's market, so had big expectations. However the first decent fish I caught on it was a 109kg striped marlin & the drag was very sticky. I did land the fish as you can see from my avatar & have since had the drag fully serviced but still don't know what the cause was which is bugging me a bit.
Anyone have a similar experience or opinion on what may have been the problem?
Should add I think the reel had been sitting in the cabinet in the shop for quite a while certainly more than one year is this a contributing factor?
Cheers Pete

fIsHsTiiCkS

Having sat so long a pre service might have been good. How much drag did you have set? Also, did having it service correct the issue?

Bryan Young

The drag washers may need to be cleaned and re-greased.  Clean the drag washers by rubbing with a clean dust free cloth then reapplying new drag grease and reassemble the drag system.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

PE Pete

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 16, 2015, 08:12:34 AM
The drag washers may need to be cleaned and re-greased.  Clean the drag washers by rubbing with a clean dust free cloth then reapplying new drag grease and reassemble the drag system.
Hi Bryan, that's exactly what we ended up doing. I haven't fished the reel since the drag service but we did pull some line off in the shop & it felt 100% better. Need to go get me a big Kingy attached to test it I guess. :)
Thanks for your response.
Pete

Wolli

Hi Pete, there is something more to do than to grease the cf washers only.

The attached pics are taken from a brand new reel of a fishing friend after two weeks fishing in Asia.

Recommend to check the gear, side covers etc. if proper greased.
Check the bail arms and rotor for to much play.   

The reel was send back to Daiwa. They fixed everything free of charge. e.g. installed new shorter pinion (the original was too long....).
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

PE Pete

Hi Wolli, I have just sent the reel back to Diawa NZ as the spool rotation was also very stiff from new & even after the store lubed the shaft it still is overly tight in my opinion.
Interestingly the store is suggesting this is just the way they are but I'm truly not happy with it but also don't have much faith that Diawa will admit fault.
Overall it's been a disappointing experience I just hope the mag seals are all ok cause that will be the last straw.
Will update here what Diawa have to say when I get it back.
Cheers Pete

MFB

Great fish though Pete...

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

PE Pete

Quote from: MFB on June 24, 2015, 06:03:03 AM
Great fish though Pete...

Regards

Mark
Hi Mark, yeah that was a very pleasant bi catch as we were live baiting for Kingfish.
One of my crew mates had just landed a good King 27kg which spewd up a massive mackerel when it hit the deck so as we reset I got the biggest livie we had in the tank & deployed it when the skipper said go.
It didn't get very far! At 20m everything went slack put the bail arm over but nothing there so let it go again at 40m same thing all went slack put bail arm over again & booooooom hooked up.
Fish went aerial & got tail wrapped which the skipper sorted out by driving twice round to undo the wrap about an hour latter my first marlin hit the deck.
109kg Striped Marlin
Dogfight 7000h spooled with 100lb Gosen braid
Synit Razor Black Label
Charter was Epic Adventures NZ
Skipper was Owen

fIsHsTiiCkS

What rod were you using? And that is a crazy solid catch man

MFB

Awesome, hope Daiwa resolve the problem for you. If you want to go old school I have a Penn 8500SS with 850 bronze gears fitted to it that I'm thinking about selling has had the drag upgrade but not the ratchet one like my 7500SS.

Regards

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

johndtuttle

I wouldn't worry about it....bone dry drags stored with perhaps a touch of drag pressure will get lumpy. Any reel's would.

A good workout and well greased and trouble no more. Be sure to store with the drags backed off.

PE Pete

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 24, 2015, 08:16:11 AM
What rod were you using? And that is a crazy solid catch man

Synit Razar Black Label 400g PE6-10 spin created by CJ

PE Pete

Quote from: MFB on June 24, 2015, 09:05:37 AM
Awesome, hope Daiwa resolve the problem for you. If you want to go old school I have a Penn 8500SS with 850 bronze gears fitted to it that I'm thinking about selling has had the drag upgrade but not the ratchet one like my 7500SS.

Regards

Mark 
Hey Mark I appreciate the offer mate but believe/hope that the Diawa NZ agent will sort these issues out.
Cheers Pete

Wolli

Quote from: johndtuttle on June 24, 2015, 03:17:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about it....bone dry drags stored with perhaps a touch of drag pressure will get lumpy. Any reel's would.

A good workout and well greased and trouble no more. Be sure to store with the drags backed off.

i see an other problem with the teflon coated drag ratchet which can cause jerking drag. Would remove the teflon and replace with a metal washer in same thickness.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)