Diawa Dogfight 7000H sticky drag!

Started by PE Pete, June 16, 2015, 07:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: Wolli on June 29, 2015, 01:22:37 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on June 24, 2015, 03:17:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about it....bone dry drags stored with perhaps a touch of drag pressure will get lumpy. Any reel's would.

A good workout and well greased and trouble no more. Be sure to store with the drags backed off.

i see an other problem with the teflon coated drag ratchet which can cause jerking drag. Would remove the teflon and replace with a metal washer in same thickness.

There is nothing wrong with that teflon piece that I am aware of... The issue was an ungreased drag that had been stored under tension for over a year and then fished. It needs to be greased and then stored with the drag loosened. I have had reels with teflon washers work fine after 20 years of service.

nelz

Quote from: Wolli on June 16, 2015, 03:24:48 PM
Hi Pete, there is something more to do than to grease the cf washers only....
... e.g. installed new shorter pinion (the original was too long....). 

Wow, looked at the pics, unbelievable for a reel in that price class. Must have been a very disgruntled worker on the assembly line! The pinion was too long???  :o

johndtuttle

Quote from: nelz on June 29, 2015, 03:45:17 PM
Quote from: Wolli on June 16, 2015, 03:24:48 PM
Hi Pete, there is something more to do than to grease the cf washers only....
... e.g. installed new shorter pinion (the original was too long....). 

Wow, looked at the pics, unbelievable for a reel in that price class. Must have been a very disgruntled worker on the assembly line! The pinion was too long???  :o

We are probably talking about a few thousandths of an inch or  fraction of a millimeter. Typically the tolerance is such that they are slightly short and are shimmed to fit in this case, if it is the smallest bit too long it will cause rapid wear.

PE Pete

Quote from: Kiwi Pete on June 29, 2015, 10:10:51 AM
Quote from: MFB on June 24, 2015, 09:05:37 AM
Awesome, hope Daiwa resolve the problem for you. If you want to go old school I have a Penn 8500SS with 850 bronze gears fitted to it that I'm thinking about selling has had the drag upgrade but not the ratchet one like my 7500SS.

Regards

Mark 
Hey Mark I appreciate the offer mate but believe/hope that the Diawa NZ agent will sort these issues out.
Cheers Pete

Hey Mark so update is Diawa replaced the 7000 with new 2015 Dogfight 8000. Happy days mate

MFB

That's hard not to like, can't wait to try out my "new" Thunnus. Have ordered the drag washers from Dawn

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton