Old style Avet JX 4:1

Started by Big Tim, June 19, 2015, 12:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

2 new reels in the inventory today...First up is the Avet...I expected a bit of noise on the Avet, but maybe I was expecting less noise ? Also the drag seemed a bit sticky? opened up to find a dry drag, unsealed bearings and a reel that looks pretty much new? Did Avet have unsealed bearings & do you think the noise is just normal and I should service with new lube, greased drags,bearings,ect? Free spool is great and the reel is in exceptional shape. Pinion gear maybe ruff ?

SoCalAngler

There was a few reasons Avet discontinued this reel model after a few years in production, and I just don't mean the reel single model your talking about but all the the reels with engraved sideplates. Avet made changes where changes were due with a few upgrades to the "etched" reels over the "engraved" reels. I wont go over them here but trust me changes were made, some for the better such as how the dog works and some less liked such as glueing the drag washer to the spool.

The reel having open bearings for some of the bearings has been in Avet's lineup from very early on and when you say their reels are "noise" you never said what was noise, gears, freespool or what? So no one should be able to help you out there until we know where the "noise" is coming from .

As far at the drags Alan has a sticky on this board about the thoughts from Avet concerning running dry drags over what other people do regarding that. I run mine wet but the drags even run dry should not be "sticky" unless your over fishing the reel ( too much drag pressure) or they got contaminated somehow.

Most people I know, and even myself, will pass on buying the engraved sideplate reels for a few reasons. Are they bad? No. Would I buy one for stupid cheap? Maybe. Would I rather have an etched sideplate reel. Yes for sure.

Shark Hunter

Those are still some cool reels T. Avet still has problems today with their bearings. I don't know what the deal is. For the type of fishing I do, I'll keep it Senator based. Simple design, simple maintenance and Big Fish. I'm getting into Everols now, so its like rags to riches. Old Chevy pickup to Maserati. The big Everols are a Marvel of engineering.
Life is Good!

Big Tim

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 19, 2015, 05:09:29 AM
There was a few reasons Avet discontinued this reel model after a few years in production, and I just don't mean the reel single model your talking about but all the the reels with engraved sideplates. Avet made changes where changes were due with a few upgrades to the "etched" reels over the "engraved" reels. I wont go over them here but trust me changes were made, some for the better such as how the dog works and some less liked such as glueing the drag washer to the spool.

The reel having open bearings for some of the bearings has been in Avet's lineup from very early on and when you say their reels are "noise" you never said what was noise, gears, freespool or what? So no one should be able to help you out there until we know where the "noise" is coming from .

As far at the drags Alan has a sticky on this board about the thoughts from Avet concerning running dry drags over what other people do regarding that. I run mine wet but the drags even run dry should not be "sticky" unless your over fishing the reel ( too much drag pressure) or they got contaminated somehow.

Most people I know, and even myself, will pass on buying the engraved sideplate reels for a few reasons. Are they bad? No. Would I buy one for stupid cheap? Maybe. Would I rather have an etched sideplate reel. Yes for sure.

Noise in the gears & after complete service, flipping the drag washer over, greasing everything, oiling the rest of everything, she spins like top, drag is strong and smooth...Gear noise stinks...It will only be a light inshore reel, but would like to get a better feel out of those gears.

Tim

mike1010

My Avet experience is limited to MX and SX series reels.  Their drive drains are not silent, but I attribute that to the stainless gears.  Is the noise you hear more than that?

Off topic, but it is surprising to see an Avet with a useful clicker spring.  Too bad the new ones lack that.

SoCalAngler

I just reread my post and where I said "stupid cheap" and I should of never stated it that way, I should of said for a very, very good deal. I was not trying to slam your purchase or Avet's first few years of their reels, I was just trying to point out some differences in the two types of reels.

I have three Avet reels one MXL with engraved side plates which stays in Baja and my father fishes with 30 lb toppers. One SX 5.3 and one JX 6/3 both with etched side plates. None of the reels have noisy gears and all are greased like you have done. There is no telling how the owner before you fished them but my guess is after you catch a few fish on your freshly serviced reels they will quite down a good deal. Maybe the other owner never caught a fish on them and the gears never fully meshed under load?

I was just spinning my SX and JX and they do have some gear noise but very little, nothing I would call noisy.

exp2000

Yeah. Just serviced a JX 4.1 last night. Very retro. Almost like a prototype of todays models.

Checkout that big nylock on the maingear lol.

Overall it was in pretty good nick.

I had to rotary brush the maingear since it was pretty grungy. There is some gear noise but not so much as to attract my attention.

The SX is a much smaller and quieter reel.

Big Tim

Follow up: I finally took the reel down completely and found the drive shaft bearings and drive shaft tube worn..this is my noise...not a stellar design but definitely functional ... I need these parts:

2- JX/LX 401-032 drive shaft bearings

and

1- JX/LX401-036 drive shaft tube