Main Menu

Shark

Started by Bill B, June 19, 2015, 06:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

I like the way that they hide under the boat & wait to steal your fish. I was told they are cold water Mako.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tightlines667

Quote from: bluefish69 on June 20, 2015, 03:21:45 AM
I like the way that they hide under the boat & wait to steal your fish. I was told they are cold water Mako.

Mike

I think most anythung that comes outta the cold water is good to eat...

Except Greenland Sharks..

they can kill you if you eat them...

though..come to think of it...

I think the natives figured out a waybto ferment away the poison to make 'em eatable.  That's ok, I guess, if you like your fish rotten.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 19, 2015, 04:56:33 PM

I know any species of Hammerhead is protected and cannot be eaten.
That depends on which state you're fishing in.
Florida for example, all Hammers except the Bonnetheads are protected.
Sidestep over to Alabama and keep any hammer you wish to with a 78" FL, again excepting the Bonnethead with no size limit.
Check your state's laws.

These are the ones I've actually eaten.
Shortfin Mako ranks with Swordfish.
Thresher isn't far behind.
Blacktip & Spinner yield some very good steaks for the BBQ.
Atlantic Sharpnose are fine eating.

I haven't had one, but Bonnethead are supposed to be as good as Sharpnose.
I've been told smaller legal Hammers are good to eat.
Bulls are OK, if one dies, don't waste it.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Tightlines667

Great Hammerheads, and Scalloped are in the process of being listed under ESA.  Specific management regions have specific take caps in place already.  Ither shark species (some threshers, iceanic white tips silkys are also likely to be lusted on a region by region basis.  States will have to comply with fed listings.
Hope springs eternal

jonnou

Quote from: Keta on June 20, 2015, 02:09:25 AM
Quote from: bluefish69 on June 20, 2015, 12:58:14 AM
No one said Porbeagle Shark. They are good any way you can cook them.

Mike

They are related to our salmon sharks.

Also related to the Mako and White shark. They are In womb Cannibals With only one ore two young born Alive. The Porbeagle is a thermo regulator and Has the same habits as the mako but found in more temperate waters. I am guessing that would be a trait of the Salmon Shark  also?

Tightlines667

Yes, you would be correct.
Hope springs eternal

jonnou

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 27, 2015, 12:06:48 PM
Yes, you would be correct.
Broadbill Swordfish are the Masters of Thermoregulation
and the tastiest. Maybe there is a link? I have found as a rule Deep water fish taste good and lots of reef fish taste like junk.

Steve-O

I have found as a rule Deep water fish taste good and lots of reef fish taste like junk.

I will agree with you on that!  Some fish I caught in the US Atlantic Ocean came out of 20-30 fathoms and the water was bathtub warm.  Yucky flavor, IMO. And these were the "popular" species to catch.

Now the Pacific Northwest fish I angle for....anything that grabs my hook tastes good.  Been throwing these ugly buggers back for years - The Great Sculpin = a member of the Scorpion fish family and decided to eat one. Tastes great, small fillets for the big head, white meat with chickenish texture and lobstery flavor. yum!

ez2cdave

With ANY variety of Shark you intend to eat, ONLY keep the SMALL ones. The BIGGER they get, the HIGHER the Mercury count !!!

P.S. - Blacktip on the grill is excellent !!!

Rancanfish

You may be right Dave.  However, are you going to eat the parts where the Mercury concentrates?  Nope.  Just the fillets for me.

But I agree about the small ones as better table fare generally.

Which is good for me since that's all I catch.   :(
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rancanfish on July 11, 2015, 04:06:31 AM
You may be right Dave.  However, are you going to eat the parts where the Mercury concentrates?  Nope.  Just the fillets for me.

But I agree about the small ones as better table fare generally.

Which is good for me since that's all I catch.   :(

TRUE . . . Bleed'em & Steak'em !!!