Fin Nor Ahab 12

Started by coastal_dan, June 19, 2015, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

At some point growing up I had seen adds in my Dad's Sport Fishing magazines for Fin Nor products...and I always remember him saying "They are classics!"  To me they were out of reach, like a nice sports car or big boat.  They just oozed class.  The Ahab conventionals and spinning reels have been on my wish list for a while.  So I finally hoped on a deal I couldn't refuse and picked up this Ahab 12...now, this one was made in CHINA around 2006; so it isn't the reel from those old adds.  But, from what I've read the newer Ahabs are nearly identical to the older ones with a few nice updates to help with braid line-lay.

Either way, I was tickled to death to find her in such nice shape, the PO said he only used it twice...and you can tell.  The price, to me, was to die for.

Someday I think I'll try to grab up an 8, 12, 16 and 20 from the good 'ole USA.  But for now, I'm going to fish the heck out of this one with a smile on my face  ;D

I did a quick fastener removal and greased all the screws and crevices as well as added some additional grease to the gear box and underside of the spool (not on the drag surfaces,  ;))  I think the only thing I'll upgrade is to get a CF drag disk and grease with Cal's.

Note:  Neat to see the fasteners with these plastic washers...would that be to deter galvanic corrosion?  Or just to protect the alum. cover?

Also, the sound of the drag coming off is to die for..nice and LOUD, perfect for the Kayak.

Just a couple quick cell phone pictures...Thanks for looking!

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

Got a drag kit from HPR Bearings and greased with Cal's then installed..I do have a couple questions though for any that have worked on these...

1) Should the inner punch on the CF washer match the cork exactly?  This kit does not, I don't think it'll float due to the spool design having a specific notched area for the drag washer.

2) When I used one disk I got basically no drag when all the way tightened down...then added the second disk (out of curiosity) and got plenty of drag...is it ok to use two disks back to back?  Or should I find a way to get a really thin SS washer between them?  You can see in the photo that the CF disk isn't as thick as the cork.

I took a couple pictures below...

Thanks for any input!
Dan from Philadelphia...

alantani

two drag washers stacked together like this will function as one.  and if the wobble around a little, it's not a problem.  the drag washer is "captured" and is not going anywhere.  you'll do fine!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coastal_dan

You rock Alan, I really appreciate your input!
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

I just wanted to update this...I switched back to using the stock cork drag disk due to getting more drag and I actually felt like it was smoother with the cork.  Tackledirect.com has a few of them left in stock so I'll think I'll order a couple extras.  Quite interesting to me!
Dan from Philadelphia...

sharkman

The Ahabs that are made in America are they stamped or is there a way to tell the difference from the ones made in China