WTB...First Gen., non-numbered, 14/0 handle

Started by Tightlines667, June 19, 2015, 07:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Thanks Fred.

Funny how you mention how peoples eyes glaze over when you start talking about the specs or repair techniques needed to get something back in normal service again. I get that feeling all the time, even with fisherman that I would think should be interested. Sort of makes me feel kind of nerdy. Sometimes I wonder what makes a person do what we do.

Anyways, every time I see the massive amount of stuff you have and your Library of Congress style of organizing it all, I know who the real hero is.

Tightlines667

Here are a couple of pictures of my first generation 14/0 all cleaned up....
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

More pics...
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

It functions like new.  Maybe I should bring it out one day and catch one finsl big fish on this 80 year old reel.
Hope springs eternal

coastal_dan

Looks great!  Also, I like your book stack behind it, haha!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Shark Hunter

You do some good work John! It turned out great.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

My non-numbered, coin esged counterweight, red torpedo knobbed 9/0 handle assembly arrived today.  It too measures 5 1/4" in length.  Like Mike's pictured Red 9/0 and 12/0 handle assemblies... it appears mine too has the handle on the correct side of the arm... unlike the black one pictured before.  Seems Penn employees made sure they red ones were assembled correctly (jk).
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

John,

Great Stuff. Love the 14/O. It is a testament to the ingenuity of the first design Penn reels. The big senators are Penn Long Beach reels on steroids. I like to think how awesome it is that a small reel design makes the transition to big game reel so successfully.

Penn Chronology

QuoteIt functions like new.  Maybe I should bring it out one day and catch one finsl big fish on this 80 year old reel.

And what a great story that would make for this board.

Years ago I had a customer that asked me for about a dozen pre- WW II vintage Long Beach reels. Apparently, somewhere in California these people were putting together a fishing tournament that required all the tackle used in the tournament to be antique pre-war tackle. It was a not big game tournament but it was a novel idea and these people had a great time putting all the gear together for the event.

So, if you bring your old 14/O back out on the water, please do document the trip with photos or whatever. I am sure that old 14/O can still handle whatever it has to.

Tightlines667

I just finished a little further restoration work on my first generation 14/0.  I bought a nonnumbered second gen 14/0, and did a complete restoration on the reel.  I then compared parts, and basically used all of the nonnumbered chrome parts (except the star, and drag cover) on the first gen 14/0.  

The finished reel looks much better, and is actually more 'correct' now then when I started.  The reel still has a numbered bridge, jack, and one rod brace, and the 3-piece spool has a pin instead of a drilled arbor (what I believe to be correct for this reel).  The star also has a little more brassing then I would like.  However, it does now have the correct handle.  I will keep my eyes out for an early nonnumbered 12/0 that I can use the bridge, jack, and star off of, and if I can find a 3-piece spool with a drilled arbor.. the restoration will be truly complete.  

I am happy with the results for now though.  

& here is one of my first gen 14/0, 12/0, 9/0, 1/0, 2/0, & nonnumbered 10/0.

*I need a better camera, lighting, etc.. the photos don't do the 14/0, 12/0, 1/0, & 2/0 justice.
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

Alto Mare

Starting to shape up nicely John. If I had the handle I would have sent it to you...sorry.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Quite the collection John, looks fantastic.  Excited to see how large the set will eventually get  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 20, 2015, 01:41:06 AM
  John, any pre-1950 14/0 handle will suffice. You may spend all your life looking for a first gen handle for that 14/0 with no success, as there are so few first gen 14/0 known to exist....Last I heard less than 6 have been found in the collector world. Pre-1950 is still non numbered and will be the same as the first gen without counterbalance.

BTW, congrats on that find that got passed over by everyone else.

Looks like another first gen 14/0 has surfaced...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/272545858706

John
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

QuoteLooks like another first gen 14/0 has surfaced...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/272545858706

Yes, it sold for $510.00........... A fair price for a rare big game reel. IMHO