Penn's 704, 705, 706, 747, 757, 750SS, 850SS, 7500SS, and 8500SS Drag Kits

Started by Bryan Young, June 24, 2015, 03:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Just placed Bryan's drag kit into my new 7500SS all I can say is its very nice. No more turning the drag knob several turns to get the drag needed. Bryan's 5 stack drag is a big improvement over the stock drag. It works so well that I would not recommend buttoning it down all the way & fishing this reel that way. Bad things will surely happen at some point.

With Bryan's drag Adam's anti reverse I think 50 lb. line is a happy max for this reel. With Adam's anti reverse one " Might "  be able to push this reel further. I've no desire to do so. With a bucket full of parts available I would. However I have other reels that perform with out question using heavier line. Why take a chance with this pristine classic

knotme

Two questions: I'm curious how much higher do you estimate the drag would be on a Penn 8500?  Next, when you recommend the newer style drag knobs, how can I tell the difference?  I have a plastic drag knob on my 8500 btw.  And because I count as well as I think, here's a third question: do you
have any of the kits that would fit the 8500 still?  Thanks

john

Quote from: handi2 on March 05, 2016, 12:04:57 AM
I have installed them in the in the SS reels, 750 to 850, the SSM reels 750 to 850, the 700 series reels, 704 and 706. All of them fit perfectly and the 7500 and 8500 are included.

The drag is much higher than stock and the drag knob will tighten quicker to max drag. I recommend the newer style drag knobs. Their much stronger and won't crack like the older ones.

Thanks Bryan..!!

Bryan Young

Hi John,

I honestly don't know how much drag you can get.  I know that it gives me enough drag that I want, which is 15#. I think before the bet I could get was like 10-12# of drag.

They are still available through MysticParts.com.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rivverrat

John, the newer style drag knobs are aluminium.

Regarding the increase in drag with Bryans kit.

I believe his drag kit has the capacity to make enough drag to cause the reel to fail if one does not use discretion when setting your drag.

I believe the 750 & 850 will live a long happy life fishing 50 line below 18 lbs. of drag.

Using more drag will be harder on the 850 because of its bigger diameter spool having more leverage & placing more stress on parts... Jeff

knotme

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I'm new to the forum and appreciate the info.  This reel came to me recently, in phenomenal condition considering how old it probably is, and while I intend to fish it, I can't see any reason to really push it.  I was thinking of spooling it with #65 braid and putting it on a popping rod for dorado, blackfin, cobia, kingfish etc.  Penn has no info on it because of the discontinuation so I'm not sure of what I might intelligently try with it but that was the plan.  Would it be smart to replace the plastic drag knob with an aluminum one?  If that's even possible, that is. 

Darin Crofton

Hi Bryan,
I'm trying to get one of these kits for a 704 1st Generation I just picked up and Mystic is out, do you know when they'll have more?
Thanks,
Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Darin Crofton on February 26, 2019, 12:10:15 AM
Hi Bryan,
I'm trying to get one of these kits for a 704 1st Generation I just picked up and Mystic is out, do you know when they'll have more?
Thanks,
Darin

Hi Darin,

Let me contact Mo to see if she has them in stock and need to get them on the site or if she needs to reorder more.  I'll get back to you shortly.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 26, 2019, 01:00:44 AM
Darin, how many you need ?
just one kit ;D

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 26, 2019, 01:41:14 AM
Quote from: Darin Crofton on February 26, 2019, 12:10:15 AM
Hi Bryan,
Thanks,
Darin

Thank you, Bryan!

Hi Darin,

Let me contact Mo to see if she has them in stock and need to get them on the site or if she needs to reorder more.  I'll get back to you shortly.

Bryan
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

lslandcrab

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 24, 2015, 03:29:00 AMHello,

Many of you have been asking for an upgrade kit for Penn's 704, 705, 706, 747, 757, 750SS, 850SS, 7500SS,  and 8500SS spinning reels and my prototype samples are just in.

For comparison, here is the stock set up.

And the height in the spool

Then the Ultimate Upgrade Kit utilizing two of Penn's 58-704 0ctagon metal washers.

And the height of the Ultimate Kit in the spool

$25 per kit shipped in the USA, $27 per kit shipped internationally.

Thank you for your interests.

Bryan

i have the 2013 reissue of the 706, would the drag be equal to what i have or better.. thanks

Bryan Young

It will be smoother at maximum drag, and will give you approximately 20-30% more drag if needed.

lslandcrab

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 09, 2022, 03:18:20 PMIt will be smoother at maximum drag, and will give you approximately 20-30% more drag if needed.

still available?

Bryan Young

AnotherSmith

Been lurking for a while and finally posting (great stuff all over this site). Looks like mystic is out of these 704 Ultimate Upgrades at the moment. Any idea if they will restock in the near future? I've got an old 704 (with stock drag) I'm planning on putting into service and I'd love to get my hands on the upgrade. If it won't be for some time, I am not opposed to getting the standard stack from Mystic with the HT 100s.

AnotherSmith

Quote from: AnotherSmith on January 26, 2023, 08:35:50 PMBeen lurking for a while and finally posting (great stuff all over this site). Looks like mystic is out of these 704 Ultimate Upgrades at the moment. Any idea if they will restock in the near future? I've got an old 704 (with stock drag) I'm planning on putting into service and I'd love to get my hands on the upgrade. If it won't be for some time, I am not opposed to getting the standard stack from Mystic with the HT 100s.

So I suppose I should get the standard stack then? Thanks in advance if anyone has any insight on this.