Bay striper fight

Started by the rockfish ninja, June 24, 2015, 04:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 27, 2015, 03:48:53 PM
Don't give up so quick Joe, I've caught some in the middle of August, not far from you.

Sal: I'm Italian, I never give up. ;D Ruth usually fishes for Fluke and I try for Stripe Bass...just not as hard. And then give the Fluke a try.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Keep that line wet, you never know ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Capt Ahab

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on June 24, 2015, 05:57:28 PM
Details, details,.. OK Don Dominick, you know I could never keep secrets from "the family".

Lovely Martha SF wharf- Capt Mike is a great guy.
Live bait bouncing the mouth of the Goldengate, the rockpile, and the Berkeley flats, windier than $#it out there.
Lamiglas tfx7830c inshore rod (extra fast) Avet SXJ MC with custom speed knob (Alan Tani custom mod) spooled with 45lb Suffix 832 braid
40lb mono leader tied to a 3/0 black chrome Danielson octopus hook above an 8 oz torpedo sinker
threaded through the nose of a California Pacific Anchovy (Engraulis mordax)
smoked turkey sandwiches, pepperoncini, San Pellegrinos and a Casa de Garcia Belicoso

Was wondering if those West Coast Stripers are a year round fishery? 

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Capt Ahab on July 03, 2015, 10:49:18 AM
Quote from: the rockfish ninja on June 24, 2015, 05:57:28 PM
Details, details,.. OK Don Dominick, you know I could never keep secrets from "the family".

Lovely Martha SF wharf- Capt Mike is a great guy.
Live bait bouncing the mouth of the Goldengate, the rockpile, and the Berkeley flats, windier than $#it out there.
Lamiglas tfx7830c inshore rod (extra fast) Avet SXJ MC with custom speed knob (Alan Tani custom mod) spooled with 45lb Suffix 832 braid
40lb mono leader tied to a 3/0 black chrome Danielson octopus hook above an 8 oz torpedo sinker
threaded through the nose of a California Pacific Anchovy (Engraulis mordax)
smoked turkey sandwiches, pepperoncini, San Pellegrinos and a Casa de Garcia Belicoso

Was wondering if those West Coast Stripers are a year round fishery? 

Yes they are but you have to follow them thru the system & cycle. Right now they're down out of the delta and at the beaches, open ocean, and the main part of the bay. In the fall they start heading up into the delta, thru the winter they spawn and reside up in the delta until spring when they voraciously pour down here again after slim pickings in their spawning grounds all winter. The late spring/early summer is the best bite.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Swimmin Deep

Capt Ahab

Clue me in - when you say delta?  How far of a migration is this?

Here the winter off VA beach and south and then head to Maine in the summer

We follow - but that is a long drive in both directions from PA

Also - is there much of a surf fishery like on the east coast or is it a boat only deal? 

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Capt Ahab on July 05, 2015, 08:41:01 PM
Clue me in - when you say delta?  How far of a migration is this?

Here the winter off VA beach and south and then head to Maine in the summer

We follow - but that is a long drive in both directions from PA

Also - is there much of a surf fishery like on the east coast or is it a boat only deal? 

Take a look online at the SF bay area on google maps or equal, you'll see the whole migration from Rio Vista & Sacramento area all the way out to the ocean, they even go as far as Monterey,CA (south) and up the Coast to Russian river.

Actually you'll find that those bass might be more local than you think, I lived in Alexandria and Arlington VA, fished the Chesapeake many many times, and did the whole up & down the coast thing. From what I've been taught while I was there is that size sometimes dictates how far the go, some fish stay in the area, spawn in the bays/rivers and don't goo too far. As you know many of the bigger ones do make a big migration.

Shore fishing for stripers is big out here for surf out on the coast and (mainly) on the shores of the bay. The waves out here are 10 times as big & rough as the Atlantic areas I've fished, so you have to be good and have the right gear to do it. When I fished VA,MD, & NJ surf it was like fishing a lake to me, consider yourself fortunate in that respect.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Capt Ahab

Thanks man - I hear ya about the migration - I mange to catch those striped carp in most of their range all year round - just not the concentrations we get when the migration is on