Drag question

Started by sharkman, June 26, 2015, 04:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Just purchased first avet lx 6.0.  Excluded the dual drag reel, most avets compared to other reels have relatively small drag poundages.  My question is how does drag poundage equate to fish size.  I know there will be variations depending whether you are on open water or fishing structure.  You see guys pulling in huge sharks with 30lb of drag.  So would a lx 6.0 be a very capable reel for grouper fishing?

Shark Hunter

Sharkman,
The 30lbs of drag I use and most sharkers comes from a big senator. It has a giant spool, gears and line capacity. I have yet to catch one that will test the limits of our upgrades. I know that day is coming, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't know what the avet is capable of. Lee is a big fan of them.
Life is Good!

handi2

I wouldn't use it for Grouper fishing. The gear ratio is on the high side plus the lower drag rating.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: sharkman on June 26, 2015, 04:12:30 PM
Just purchased first avet lx 6.0.  Excluded the dual drag reel, most avets compared to other reels have relatively small drag poundages.  My question is how does drag poundage equate to fish size.  I know there will be variations depending whether you are on open water or fishing structure.  You see guys pulling in huge sharks with 30lb of drag.  So would a lx 6.0 be a very capable reel for grouper fishing?

The Avet single drags are a simple reel, but really more of an "open water" reel rather than one that is ideal for hard pulling reef dwellers near structure. Best suited to fish on the surface or lite trolling and live bait fishing.

You can get a little more drag out of them than recommended, at the expense of some handle binding and pinion bearing wear that will lead to early replacement.

Rivverrat

Quote from: sharkman on June 26, 2015, 04:12:30 PM
  My question is how does drag poundage equate to fish size.  

The up front answer is it doesnt. Not all fish species of the same weight & size pull or fight same. As also mentioned not all fish call the same place home having the same surroundings.
It is the type of fish then  whether or not they live in open water or in or near structure that plays into the drag & line class range you will need. After these 2 criteria are met then size of fish in the area being fished is taken into consideration.