3/0 senator and shimano tld 25 lever drag for tuna fishing

Started by newport, June 29, 2015, 03:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Great info shared...I'm working on again off again on a 6/0 myself, lots of good ones on Ebay or check your local Craigslist.com.

I wonder if we could do a Fishing Location sub forum....Like us North East guys could reference this info for a while.  And you Cali guys always have awesome info that is specific to your area.

Just a thought...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

newport

Quote from: bill19803 on July 01, 2015, 01:42:37 AM
sent   PM
dont  go  with less then    6/0   60 lb  line  or  you are asking to  cry a lot You will be anchored in  500  ft  fishing  100  ft   down   and    fish  size  is  not uniform  can  range  from  foot balls   to big eyes of   300  or  swords  of   400.Boat   doesnt   chase  ya got    20+   folks  and a good chance of tangles. In a   tangle   60 lb is minimal  and gets    burned off real  fast.  6/0   will  work    9/0  even better  and they are not that dear  on  fleabay
Hi bill, I appreciate the input. I'll shoot you an email as soon as I can. I just want to recollect my thoughts as I have some new questions about tackle, head boats and such. Thanks.

newport

Quote from: coastal_dan on July 01, 2015, 04:32:28 PM
Great info shared...I'm working on again off again on a 6/0 myself, lots of good ones on Ebay or check your local Craigslist.com.

I wonder if we could do a Fishing Location sub forum....Like us North East guys could reference this info for a while.  And you Cali guys always have awesome info that is specific to your area.

Just a thought...
I have noticed a lot of northeast guys on here. It's not a bad idea.

anglingarchitect

Quote from: BMITCH on July 01, 2015, 01:06:38 AM
No your right Dominique. The TLD ALWAYS goes. It was a wedding present 28 yrs ago. My wife hasn't gotten much use out of it 😉

Just get her a new vacume or washing machine next time to insure your spot on the couch.

newport

Hey guys just a little update. I am going on the Golden Eagle off of Belmar NJ on Sep 27th. Not sure how it is now, but plenty of spots left when I signed up. This will be my first offshore trip and I am very excited about it and also a bit nervous as well -- mostly worried about seasickness and awful weather. I decided to purchase a Daiwa Sealine 600h for really cheap, but of course some parts needed replacing and Daiwa sevice department was actually kind enough to send me many of them to me free of charge, including free shipping! I also upgraded the drags to Bryan's 5+1 carbon fiber drack stack. The old ones literally broke apart when I removed them. Spooled with 400 yds of 60lb Momoi Diamond, it is all ready to go. Bill has been especially helpful and answered many questions I had very thoroughly. Honestly, without his help I don't think I would have even made this trip. Here's a picture of my reel:

coastal_dan

Awesome, that's what this place is all about!  Bill is full of great info for our neck of the woods.  I just read that he has 4x similar trips booked for this year, WOW!  Post pictures, I plan on doing one next year.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

broadway

I can't speak about the reels, but I can tell you to take 1 bonine pill the night before, then take another bonine after you eat a low fat breakfast (egg whites with whole wheat toast is what I do).
The low fat diet is really the trick! I've been on the Golden Eagle and it's one of the boats in that fleet that has lasted the test of time so I'd say you'll hook up if the fish are there.  Our boats here on the East Coast don't compare to the West Coast long rangers, so it can get a bit "sporty" if the seas kick up.  Have a great/safe trip!
PS- no alcohol

BMITCH

Newport, I'll be on the gambler on the 26/27 trip...I'll leave some for ya...lol
luck is the residue of design.

BMITCH

Also looking at the GE on the last trip of their season Oct. 18/19. If you hook think about a second trip...actually if you guys catch you'll already be booking a second trip...it's a disease.!!

bill19803

Bob
hope to see you on  GE   and get to chat as we  haul  em in  You  can have my  share of  yft ill take your  share of  swords lol

BMITCH

Bill, just got the email from them...trips added👍😃😃

BMITCH

Also 26/27 full moon......now pray for the weather. BTW....the TLD-25 will be going on ALL of them..!!

bill19803

so  you are  going on  2   golden eagle trips ?26/27  sept, oct 18/19 ?

ill be  busy i guess  with new hampshire  buddy   plus  tld25  guy(newport) on  26/27
will be  bringing  25 lbs  squid  from lunds in cape may   its mixed  some  big some not so much
i will  also have a very limited number of giant  squid to  share   600  gram or  more  also  from  lunds

but there  were  only  about  30  in  40 lb  box   so  with  4 trips   quantities are limited.
ill  be strictly  sword  with  giant gear   till  a serious  bite  starts  and then  switch gear to   30/50  sized  stuff  and  smaller   squid

newport

Yep me, bill, and his friend will be fishing the same boat. I will definitely be taking pictures --and if not too hectic-- maybe even a video. Perhaps next year there will be a bunch of alantani members coming.

Broadway, is that bonine any better than the drammanine pill, you think? I already got the dramine pills, but if the one you suggested is better then I'll get that, thanks. I was actually thinking of bringing maybe a six pack, but I guess that's a bad idea? I figure a little dulling of the senses would help.

Bmitch, good luck on both trips. We'll see, but I don't think I be able to do another trip this year even if I wanted to.