Bearing Packer update

Started by AlasKen, June 29, 2015, 06:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

As you may know I am very new to the reel servicing game.  I like to fish and am on a tight budget so I can't afford to replace my gear due to neglect and can't afford to pay someone else to do what I can do so I have started going through all my gear.  Of course I am also a sucker for cool things so I order the 2 bearing packers from Alan.  They are sweet functional works of art.  I have repacked 4 reels worth of bearings.  I clean them out with carb cleaner a and blow them dry.  I use the packer so far only needed the MM sized one, with the seals in place.  If I had a question as to grease actually getting all the way through, which I didn't it was answered yesterday when as I got a little over zealous with the grease and actually pushed the seal off the other side.  No harm and no file as I simply put it back together.  This was one with the little clip holding it in place.  It takes no time to pack the bearing.  I have also found that if I pack the bearings first and the remove most of the grease with my grease brush that it is about the right amount for the rest of the reel parts.  I keep the packer in the little zip lock it was shipped in and keeps things fairly clean.   

Fred asked me to post some photos of the reels I have serviced and I will but don't have any at this time.  I thought I would post a poor quality one of my work area.  It was a great day so I was working on my deck with a view of the Chugach mountains.  I lucked out and dropped no parts through the deck but it was a trade off for being outdoors.  I had my Penn 209 in pieces and going back together.  I have found taking my time creates a more harmonious outcome so I had a little glass of sipping tequila with the requisite fruit as well as my iPad with the tutorial on the screen.  Unfortunately my tool box with the packers on them got washed out by the sun.   I great way to spend a Sunday if you can't go fishing.  Thanks to all on the site.  Ken

Reel 224

Ken: I noticed the Tequila and the lime pieces and forgot everything I was reading. My favorite drink. You have good taste my friend. Alan,Fred,Bryan,Keith and many others here are great people to know, they can all help you through any reel situation.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

AlasKen

Yep, sold on sipping tequila as well.  It helps me slow down and appreciate the outcome.  Now I do need to limit quantities but I read on the internet that tequila helps to lower blood pressure, reduces cholesterol, and reduce blood sugar, something about the agave plant.  I know since it is on the internet it has to be true.  Therefore think of it as medicine.  At least that is my story and I am sticking to it.  Try googling it, it helps to have some back up to your story.

As Wilford Brimley said in Crossfire Trail, "Better slow down there, young ... see, if you take your time... you get a more harmonious outcome".  Since I saw that movie that quote has become my words to live by.  More masculine than "Slow down and stop to smell the roses".   

Reel 224

A lot of good common sense come from the Midwest and there wit and humor. The man I like to listen to Is Foster Black. There is a man with great common sense and lots of great life advice. Tequila has a way with helping the mind do those things....like slow down and listen.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

for some reason I also noted the tequila first  ;D ::)

nothing to do to be the mexican guy here  ;)

but it's also my favorite adult beverage, I noticed the cherries along with the lemons, do those help with the tequila shot flavor or it just that you like cherries too much?

on a side note, I need to get those bearings packers soon.

The Baja Guy

alantani

i think i sent out my last one.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Not being a machinist or have any other knowledge in such matters I have always wondered why there was a need two different sized bearing holders, one for standard sized bearings and another for metric? All other bearing packers have a cone shaped area where you place the bearing to be packed. It does not matter if the bearing is metric or standard as it will be forced into the cone and make a tight seal for the packing process. So I was just wondering why a cone shaped receiver for the bearing would not work like other bearing packers and for the ones what were sold here and other places had stepped cone ridges to fit the correct sized bearing, one for metric and the other standard? It seems to me just one cone shape without the steps would work just like other bearing packers or am I off base here?

AlasKen

Two things, Steelfish, the cherries are because I like them and they were in the house.  The limes help with the tequila. While the proper order is lick, sip, and suck I choose the just sprinkle a little margarita salt on the limes ans just sip and suck.

SoCalAngler, As to the bearing packer and steps I have no idea if a cone would work.  Probably would.  However with steps they have something to sit on.  I can say that they are works of art and a welcome addition to my tools.  Like my Penn Senators they will last for multiple generations and hopefully my great grandkids will use them to service Papa's old reels. 

Like most things related to my boating and fishing hobby it may not make financial sense but I could spend my money on a lot worse things.  Ken

alantani

sometimes you need alot of pressure to pack the bearings.  the steps keep everything straight.  with a plain cone, the grease would always squeeze around the sides. 

Reel 224

Quote from: alantani on August 20, 2015, 04:28:40 AM
sometimes you need alot of pressure to pack the bearings.  the steps keep everything straight.  with a plain cone, the grease would always squeeze around the sides. 

Do you have any packers left?

Joe

alantani

one more and that's it.  not sure if cortez conversions will be able to make any more. 

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on August 20, 2015, 05:30:24 PM
one more and that's it.  not sure if cortez conversions will be able to make any more. 

damn..

as I said early, I have plans to get one in few weeks, but children just got back to school and Im really short on funds at this moment.

hopefully you wil have some more later

The Baja Guy

Cortez_Conversions

I can make more Alan, just say the word and I'll fit them in in a couple months.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

AlasKen

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on August 20, 2015, 10:13:10 PM

I can make more Alan, just say the word and I'll fit them in in a couple months.

The only thing wrong with these from a manufacturing standpoint is they should last forever.  The only way I can see ever needing to replace them is if you lose one or your son borrows it and forgot where it came from, otherwise you should have a tool that lasts many lifetimes.

While I have both version metric and standard how critical is it?  Will most bearing fit tight enough either way.  I have only used one as all my bearing have seemed to fit right.  Thanks.  Ken

Tiddlerbasher

The bearing fit in these packers is 'snug' - I reckon within a couple of thou. A metric bearing in the imperial packer (and vice versa) will be a sloppy fit. The grease will bypass the bearing. Keep it simple metric for metric - imp. for imp. These are quality products from Cortez.