Help to find the "best fit" carbon fiber for this Omoto reel

Started by steelfish, June 30, 2015, 06:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well guys, since few years ago you spoiled me badly  ;D
now I want to put carbontex or HT-100 drags to any reel that I own.

I dont want to mix my teardown thread of the Omoto "cast-spinning" reel with this questions about new carbon fiber drags for it
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14610.0

well, I found out this reel has drag washers that are non carbon fiber, so my best bet is to look for something that fits even if I have to cut a bit

this are the drag washers, magenta in color and plastic feeling

OD is 20.35mm

ID is 8.14mm

I forgot to check the thickness, but I will cover that later.

on hand I have these next  ht-100 drags that fit almost perfect inside the main gear, the dont feel as tight as the stock ones but dont have any play inside the main gear, this are a bit bigger than the ones for the penn 209 but with the same ID size.

but the ID size is way bigger than drive shaft diameter

what I was thinking to do if you concur is to put those carbon fiber washers and the stock metal washers, they of course have the correct ID size of the drive shaft and wont let the carbon fiber to move inside the main gear, but if I do that I wil run into two issues.

1. the new contact material of the drag will be less than with the stock drags so I dont think if a real improvement over the stockers.
2. the thinkness of the full stock drag stack is bigger than with the carbon fiber washers.

stock metal washers and carbon fiber HT-100

the only way (currently) to reach the stock thickness is to add another metal washer at the end of the stack

and I still need a carbon fiber washer with 8.14mm ID and 12.14mm OD for the Under main gear

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0
according to this thread of all the HT-100 sizes my best bet are :

#6-965 ($1.25) / 8.15 x 24.61 x 0.85 / 955-965, calcutta 400, trn100/200g

and cut a bit the OD diameter but I will be still short of the overall thickness of the drag stack
stockers are 1.15mm and #6-965 HT-100 are .85mm

and cut a lot of OD of the HT-100 to use it as under main gear washer

Well, I wasnt aware that there was a new list of carbontex drag washers, one of them fit the bill a bit better

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4507.0

#17 of the list

The Baja Guy

fIsHsTiiCkS

For movement of the drag washer the OD is more important than the ID.  With that said I would contact Dawn at smooth drag as she has a whole list of drag washers that might come closer to your needs with minimal modification. Also, one option is to just cut the drag washer from a sheet and then it would be exact! Looking forward to the tear down of that reel!

steelfish

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 30, 2015, 09:54:19 PM
I would contact Dawn at smooth drag as she has a whole list of drag washers that might come closer to your needs with minimal modification.

good call, I just going to do that

The Baja Guy

Keta

Look here and get the closest to what you need.  You can change the ID and OD but I find it easier to do the OD.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4507.0

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

Quote from: steelfish on June 30, 2015, 10:04:34 PM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 30, 2015, 09:54:19 PM
I would contact Dawn at smooth drag as she has a whole list of drag washers that might come closer to your needs with minimal modification.

good call, I just going to do that

If you send me the size in inch or mm I can punch some for you. I have the punches that do both holes at the same time and they come out perfect. Just need the thickness also. Hopefully 1mm will do b/c I have some Carbontex sheets in that size that are just like the material from Dawn. It's soft with no core.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on June 30, 2015, 11:23:40 PM
If you send me the size in inch or mm I can punch some for you. I have the punches that do both holes at the same time and they come out perfect. Just need the thickness also. Hopefully 1mm will do b/c I have some Carbontex sheets in that size that are just like the material from Dawn. It's soft with no core.

thats really nice from your part..the sizes are already in the pictures but I will put them here also:

main drag washers ( 3 )
OD : 20.35 mm
ID : 8.14 mm
T:  1.15 mm (but I think 1mm could work)

under gear drag washer ( 1 )
OD: 12.64 mm
ID : 8.14 mm
t: 1 mm

if you can do them, send me your paypal to pay for them

The Baja Guy

Keta

Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on June 30, 2015, 11:57:51 PM
#10 is close enough for the drag washers.

10                20.5 (0.81)  X  8.1 (0.32)  X  0.5 (0.02)

Keta, it looks pretty good but the thickness is not even the half of stock drags
#10 is 0.50 mm  and stockers are 1.15mm

if I have to chose on from the list it would have to be No. 17
17                22.95 (0.905)  X  8.3 (0.325)  X  1 (0.04)

The Baja Guy

Keta

Use 2 stacked or try to get more washers in the stack, there should be room for one more keyed and eared washer.

Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on July 01, 2015, 12:18:23 AM
Use 2 stacked or try to get more washers in the stack, there should be room for one more keyed and eared washer.

hmm I didnt knew it was as good to use 2 CF stacked, Im learning everyday something new from the pros here.

thats another good option, but if I want to to make it CF+metal+CB+metal, I dont have more metal washers of the same size than stocks

The Baja Guy

Keta

Quote from: steelfish on July 01, 2015, 12:25:28 AM
thats another good option, but if I want to to make it CF+metal+CB+metal, I dont have more metal washers of the same size than stocks

If you PM me the gearsleeve OD, the measurement across the flats, the ID of the gear and the thickness of the ears (not washer thickness but at the base of the ears) and the width of the eared washer from ear to ear I can cut you some .035" (.899mm) ones.

Mark Twain

Dawn

One not on the list:

20 x 8.10 x 1

Smallest OD I have is 16 x 8.25 x 1

Dawn
Dawn

steelfish

now I have few options, thank you guys, I really appreciate that.

but at the same time you also got me thinking (sorry, Im still new on upgrading a reel with custom CF drags)

this reel will not be a tank with unstopable power eventhough it has a nice and solid aluminium frame to avoid any flex, but the reel foot of top of the reel is plastic, that limits this reel from having high drags settings, after saying that.

what would be better for it.
make some thin custom metal washers with keta and get some of those 0.50mm thickness drags to change the stack configuration from 3 stack (stock) to 4-5 stack (probably) or just go with those CF drags that Dawn posted that seems like a good fit and call it a day?

PS: someone on BD outdoors said he saw another omoto reel like this one that was used to catch school tunas, I dont have tunas here, but it would be nice to catch some big Sierras (spanichs Mac) on it.

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

If you are looking at #10, I would pick the size for the Penn black 113.  I believe they are 0.76 mm thick.  Double up in a couple of stacks and single in yhe other.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D