P322 w/Tib + 3.6 gears

Started by BonitaBch, June 30, 2015, 06:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonitaBch

Picked up a set of NOS 3.6:1 gears and a nice P322 to install them into.  Used the tips from Newell Nut's post to open the two bottom holes on the left side trim ring and everything went together perfectly.  Has Bryan's 5 stack drag upgrade kit and delrin under the main gear.

Bonita Beach, FL

Bryan Young

Very nice.  I want to build one of those.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

I believe it's the P20.  It should be the same frame as the ones used on the Penn 501 and 506.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Newell Nut

Nice looking little beast of a reel. Mangos, cobias and red snappers are endangered now. You will love the way it cast and those gears have some muscle.

russ1962

Did you use the Delrin washer in place of the carbontex under the main gear recess??

Hamachi

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 30, 2015, 08:09:38 PM
I believe it's the P20.  It should be the same frame as the ones used on the Penn 501 and 506.

P20 is for the 338
I think you meant P21 for the 322

Line up the bolts that go through the outer rings and side plate first, then elongate the inner ring bolts to match those. That way the smallest modification will have to be done to the side plates and outer rings. I believe this has been covered already by Newell Nut or one of the other experts on here.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

BonitaBch

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 30, 2015, 07:25:19 PM
Very nice.  I want to build one of those.

You should do it!

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 30, 2015, 07:46:08 PM
Which Tib frame is used?

It's the P21

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 30, 2015, 09:23:46 PM
That is a mean reel!

Thanks, it came out really nice ... kinda suprised  ;D

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 30, 2015, 10:19:55 PM
Nice looking little beast of a reel. Mangos, cobias and red snappers are endangered now. You will love the way it cast and those gears have some muscle.

Has great freespool.  Thanks for the tip on the gears ...  ;)

Quote from: russ1962 on June 30, 2015, 10:37:34 PM
Did you use the Delrin washer in place of the carbontex under the main gear recess??

Yes, used the delrin as that has been shown to provide smooth performance and no loss of drag.

Quote from: Hamachi on June 30, 2015, 10:40:20 PM
P20 is for the 338
I think you meant P21 for the 322

Line up the bolts that go through the outer rings and side plate first, then elongate the inner ring bolts to match those. That way the smallest modification will have to be done to the side plates and outer rings. I believe this has been covered already by Newell Nut or one of the other experts on here.

Yes, I just needed to touch up the inner frame lower screw holes to allow a little more room.
Bonita Beach, FL

Hamachi

Very nice conversion! Did you utilize all six bolt (screw) holes per side?

BonitaBch

Quote from: Hamachi on July 01, 2015, 12:53:43 AM
Very nice conversion! Did you utilize all six bolt (screw) holes per side?

Yes, four inner ring screws and then two screws through the side plate for a total of six.
Bonita Beach, FL

Hamachi

On the P20 frame there are ten screw holes, is that the case on the P21 also? For different applications? I guess you could drill holes in the inner rings for all of them, but would it really make the frame any stiffer, stronger?

Newell Nut

The only reason you need to put the standard short fillister head screws in the inner ring is to simply tie it to the frame. Then the top screw goes into the threaded insert that holds the top of the ring to the frame, which makes everything one unit and stronger.

The other holes in the frame fit other reels.

thinkwahoo

The standard gear ratio for the early reels was 4:1 which proved to be difficult to get a smooth rotation when winding, so they removed 2 teeth from the main gear which dropped the gear ratio down to 3.6:1, but still used the same pinion gear, and that really smoothed out the mesh.

BonitaBch

Quote from: thinkwahoo on July 08, 2015, 02:54:26 AM
The standard gear ratio for the early reels was 4:1 which proved to be difficult to get a smooth rotation when winding, so they removed 2 teeth from the main gear which dropped the gear ratio down to 3.6:1, but still used the same pinion gear, and that really smoothed out the mesh.

Interesting ... I have a 4:1 gear from a 322M also.
Bonita Beach, FL