come fishing with me on the argo out of san francisco, tuesday, july 14th, 2015

Started by alantani, June 30, 2015, 08:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Quote from: alantani on July 08, 2015, 01:59:37 AMif we go for salmon first and actually get a couple on the boat, rockcod fishing is a bit more complicated.  you can use artificial lures with single point, single shank, barbless j-hooks with no bait.  if you use bait, you have to use a barbless circle hook.  rock cod fishing, by the way, is very easy with barbless circle hooks! 

Does it make sense to go for rockfish first? Wil the Capt. decide. I happy whatever we do.

I clamp down on the barbs a lot of the time anytime. Easier to release when the freezer is full.

Hope this cocky talk doesn't jinx me.

johndtuttle

Quote from: swill88 on July 08, 2015, 10:40:36 PM
Quote from: alantani on July 08, 2015, 01:59:37 AMif we go for salmon first and actually get a couple on the boat, rockcod fishing is a bit more complicated.  you can use artificial lures with single point, single shank, barbless j-hooks with no bait.  if you use bait, you have to use a barbless circle hook.  rock cod fishing, by the way, is very easy with barbless circle hooks! 

Does it make sense to go for rockfish first? Wil the Capt. decide. I happy whatever we do.

I clamp down on the barbs a lot of the time anytime. Easier to release when the freezer is full.

Just so ya' know that will not likely satisfy CA DFG regs for barbless. If a q-tip is run over the barb and the slightest wisp is tugged off it is a violation and big time fine (like ~$500). :(.

Seem ridiculous but have seen reports of it happening to an unlucky guy trying to comply with regs.

swill88

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 08, 2015, 11:02:29 PM
Quote from: swill88 on July 08, 2015, 10:40:36 PM

Just so ya' know that will not likely satisfy CA DFG regs for barbless. If a q-tip is run over the barb and the slightest wisp is tugged off it is a violation and big time fine (like ~$500). :(.

Seem ridiculous but have seen reports of it happening to an unlucky guy trying to comply with regs.

That's good to know... when I've done it, it wasn't beause it was required but just to let some go with less blood. Didn't seem to notice losing any because of the barb.

thanks.

Big Tim

Dumb question: Why barbless for rock fishing? Is it just outside the gate? I get the barbless hooks for Salmon.please enlighten

swill88

Quote from: Big Tim on July 08, 2015, 11:30:54 PM
Dumb question: Why barbless for rock fishing? Is it just outside the gate? I get the barbless hooks for Salmon..Lease enlighten
Once youv'e landed a salmon then any bait fishing after that uses in inline barbless circle hooks & lures can be barbless J-hooks.
Go for the rockfish first and you don't have to worry about it.

alantani

once you have a salmon on board, any hook in the water has to be barbless.  you know, you might hook up on one of those pesky salmon when you are targeting rockfish.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

the skipper might want to target salmon at a particular time of the day, like first light.  he will know the water and the bite best. 

Big Tim

Bryan Young

I got barbless shrimp files that my friend Allan made for me...time to try them out.  :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill Karr

I've never used circle hooks (barbless or otherwise) for Rockfish so I too would be interested in size and brand. As for going for Rockfish first then Salmon, I believe that since you cannot fish for Rockfish in the SF Management area in water deeper than 20 Fathoms (120 ft.) if you have Rockfish on board, you cannot fish for Salmon in water deeper than that depth. How bizarre is that regulation?
Bill
Bill

swill88

Quote from: alantani on July 08, 2015, 11:52:46 PM
once you have a salmon on board, any hook in the water has to be barbless.  you know, you might hook up on one of those pesky salmon when you are targeting rockfish.  

Aren't the barbless hooks only required when not trolling?

alantani