Andros A-Series 12 2 speed

Started by Rivverrat, June 30, 2015, 09:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Who here has experience with this reel?

How much use has it seen?

How much drag are you running?.... Thanks, Jeff

MarkT

Is it even out yet?  It has been repeatedly delayed.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

I have one.    Okuma in Cali is receiving shipments weekly of them. I will be doing a tutorial on Andros 12 A Series tonight if nothing comes up.  

steelfish

jeff

can you post pics of your Andros 12 aside to another reels to have an idea of the real size?

I dont have any close tackle shop (even in USA close to the border) to check that reel out.
debating between a 12n or a 12, weight is almost the same
The Baja Guy

boon

Are these the twin-drag ones? Very interested to see the insides.

Rivverrat

Yes all the Andros reels use what Okuma calls their Dual Force Drag. It is very smooth even above 20 lbs. of drag.

Though my 12N is noticeably not as free cranking or has quite as smooth drag at higher settings as my other 2 standard size models.
My 12N based on what others have told me is an anomaly. Alan & others have stated some of the Andros reels early on had tight gearing. It's not a big enough issue for me to worry to much about.

I have 3 of them that have been used very hard. As far as lever drags go they are pretty much trouble free.
My first  Andros 12 was the only reel I ever purchased that exceeded my expectations without any refinement needed by me. I've 2 days off next week I'll try to get a tutorial up...Jeff

Rivverrat

Andros 12 &12N with Penn Fathom 25N

Rivverrat

Side view

Rivverrat

Spool width of 12 &12N vs Fathom 25N.

Click on pics to enlarge....Jeff

steelfish

Really nice pics Jeff, those will really help a lot to have an idea of The size.
Seems that I would be getting The 12 normal width
The 12n is too dang narrow
Fth 25n looks líke The sweet Spot on width
The Baja Guy

boon

Ooooh I really like the look of the 12N. I just wonder if it has the grunt for mechanical jigging.

Rivverrat

I really like my 12N. While it would fill the need for most all of my heavy, river catfishing I do find it to be a specific reel for specific tasks. The standard size allows me to underfill them a bit & use my thumb on the side of the spool when casting. These reels are quite capable of tossing very light baits....Jeff

steelfish

Jeff,

if you are always looking for small reels with high drag settings, why havent you gotten a Makaira 10II or 8II other for the price?
considering Mak 10II is only $100 dlls more than the Andros 12II, its a tank, have thrust bearing and Im pretty sure it will last many years in good shape

Im considering selling some reels and wait for any special on Xmas, black friday, fathers day, etc, if I could save $50-70 bucks on a Mak 12 or 16 Im golden, but alas is still a plan  ;D ;D and with my older dauther getting into the university this august 15th :o :o it might stay as plan for many time
The Baja Guy

cwillis85

I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Tackle direct is running a deal when you buy the andros you get a cedros rod free.

So far I like the size but haven't gotten it on the water yet.
Chris

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on July 23, 2017, 10:11:53 PM
Jeff,

if you are always looking for small reels with high drag settings, why havent you gotten a Makaira 10II or 8II other for the price?
considering Mak 10II is only $100 dlls more than the Andros 12II, its a tank, have thrust bearing and Im pretty sure it will last many years in good shape

Alex,  you are correct with this statement regarding the Mak 8 & 10.  I chose the to go with Andros because prior to buying  I talked with people that fished the prototypes & had since fully rigged their boats out with them. I was told by several who had used the reel to destruction that it would do what I wanted.

The Andros will produce close to the same amount of fishable drag as the Mak 8 & 10 but has far greater line capacity at the same weight as the Mak 10. I dont need a lot of of line in most cases for my fishing. However with the 12's higher capacity I am able to under fill the spool leaving exposed spool for my thumb when casting. Also using lever drags filled to about 65% - 75% of their capacity noticably reduces bearing
stress /  wear when used at high drag settings. I will add here that I fish my A-12's at 10 - 15 lbs. of drag going higher only when needed... I'm a bit of an airhead / space cadet & dont like having my rods pulled from my hands when not paing close attention. drags are locked down when fishing up close to log piles while spiked in the sand or in a holder on the boat

These are fantastic reels for what I do. Okuma has over the short time the Andros has been out continued to make improvements & dial this series of reels in. Something else.... they have shown me that I dont need a 2 speed reel. A reel that gathers 25" - 32" of line with each crank does fine for Big River Catfish. A single speed would suffice for most other species fresh or salt water also I think. The wide acceptance among some of always using a 2 speed doesnt seem to be  a good thing for every situation. High likelyhood it will break or give trouble at some point when fished as much as I do....Jeff

A new reel to me that I've been using & have just fallen in love with is the Penn Torque 12 Star drag. What a fantastic, off the chain, great casting, little beast....Jeff