Andros A-Series 12 2 speed

Started by Rivverrat, June 30, 2015, 09:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 24, 2017, 10:21:15 PM
The Andros will produce close to the same amount of fishable drag as the Mak 8 & 10 but has far greater line capacity at the same weight as the Mak 10. I dont need a lot of of line in most cases for my fishing.

thanks thats the answer I think it cover 100% my question on your case

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 24, 2017, 10:21:15 PM

A new reel to me that I've been using & have just fallen in love with is the Penn Torque 12 Star drag. What a fantastic, off the chain, great casting, little beast....Jeff

cool, I also only here good things about that reel, the previos torque series were a tank, in weight and quality of parts, and the new models are equal good but lighter, thanks for your comment amigo
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Glad I could help. I would add here that the Mak's are just an alll together heavier built reel & will of course last much longer for those leaning on & pushing them all the time. However I've found the Andros to do just fine for me while providing 20 - 25 lbs. of drag when needed.... Jeff

coastal_dan

Jeff / Others - Just wanted to follow up on these 12II reels on how they are holding up and if you've been happy with your purchase.  I am really intrigued with the gearing on these, nice low high hear, with a great low granny gear.  Filled with 50 lb power pro this could be a very universal reel for my applications.  From sea-bass to tilefish.  These also weigh a little less than the Baja/US 113n.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Normslanding

At this time I have one A12II ,and two A12SII reels. They are used fishing 50 and 60. They have not failed after a lot of Wahoo, Rooster fish, Tuna to 100. The higher speed in combo with the 2.1:1 is very versatile. The Makairas are IMO second to none, but the A12's fill in the areas the Mak's can't do well. Sorry to but in...... I hope this helps.

coastal_dan

Not a butt in at all!  That's the type of response I'm looking for!  Thanks sir!  How much 50 are you getting on the A12? Top shot or no?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Rivverrat

I've fished mine quite a bit. One of my Standard sized was was pushed to the limits repeatedly. These are extremely well made reels for the money. In terms of over all quality I place them squarely in between Avets on the low end & Accurate or Penn Torques on the high end. 

Pluses : Price!!

Extremly smooth drag that is very capable of fishing 60 lb. line in most cases when compared to other reels in this class.

Very durable gears. I dont care much about strength. Truth be known most all gears in reels like this are plenty strong regardless of design. Issues that seem to arise are seen in long term durability rather than strength or weakness. Also a big plus Okuma listened & offers this reel in high & low speed version. Gears in one way or another, in my mind are in the top two most important features of a any given reel if not foremost.

Parts & customer support are superb

Strong frame design for this size & weight reel. There are reels in this class that when pushed hard or leaned on with high drag begin flex. I've not noticed this at all with this model. This can be noticed some times with a drag that isnt smooth when set heavy. 

Casting   These reels cast great. Having great free spool.

Cons:   One knock on these reels is quality control. Specifically what I mean is sometimes you run into a reel that doesnt crank or work as smooth. It's hard to keep track of this with a company that is in a costant postive flux such as Okuma.   I have seen Okuma's quality control get better.

However Okuma has taken care of any & all issues I've had & was quick doing so. If at all possible I would want to be familiar with this specific reel  & how they are supposed to feel before buying. If buying over the phone it pays to to know who you are dealling with. This is why I use CharkBait more than any other.

Drag: For me this is a big one. The drag is either on or off. I despise this... I just hate it !
This reel  because of this, is by design, made to be fished at the strike setting. If a fish runs you out a ways & you need to back off the drag there is little room for error when pulling the lever back. 
This is an area where I believe Penn with their Torque line stepped out in front of all others. Where they give you 3 different settings for the lever. This is well thought out on Penn's part & a big deal for some one fishing for big fish around heavy cover or fish that strip gazzilion yards of line.

Screws / Fastners : Some of the screws on these reels are best left alone. Especially the ones on the reel seat. Others you want to be careful & not snug them down to far. Only reel I've ever had this issue with.

Over all this reel is more than worth it's asking price. Keep in mind only one of my 3 three has seen salt water & then only once.

This is up to this point in my life the only reel I've purchased that has exceeded my expectations...Jeff

coastal_dan

Heck of an update Jeff, many thanks.  The drag issue is interesting...I need to find a shop that has them and get one in my hands.

I agree on Charkbait, I've bought a few Avets and Accurates from them over the years and always had an excellent transaction.  All of their freebies that come with a purchase are icing on the cake.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Donnyboat

Penn Penn Penn, Torque, & Senators, know drag troubles,  even the 349 I got going, with Mike Curries help, thanks Mike, is going great, that's the reel that was dragged out of a rubbish bin, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rivverrat

I forgot to add that I replaced the pinion bearings in one of my standard size 12's.
This after fishing it every day for some time @23 lbs. plus drag, catching huge carp, & cranking them through 5-10 mph current. I find carp to be a very worthy sport fish. Those with some size to them have no issue pulling drag at these settings in heavy current. Lake carp while decent enough fighters are very weak when compared to their big river brothers.

Any way I'm pretty sure the bearing on this reel was bad prior to my purchasing it.

Only other issue has been a broke E clip on the 2 speed shift shaft.