Help With Adros A-Series 12

Started by Rivverrat, July 01, 2015, 11:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Hey Guys I apologize for this. I was hoping to correct the haphazard manner in which I posted this prior . My camera just went belly up. I'm also hurting for time to give this endeavor such as a tutorial on this reel the time that it deserves.

However I am having issue with this reel that I would like help with
So If the powers that be could please change the title to "Help With Adros A-Series 12" or something similar it would be very much appreciated. This reel is still very much under warranty. But this there is no fun in that. Especially since the emphasis of this forum is learning by fixing & doing it our selves  

Rivverrat

The issue is several but I believe they are all related. First the reel in free spool turns when when you crank the handle. I can easily stop it but it does turn.Put simply it seems like the reel is not completely disengaging from the drag. Maybe this is normal for this reel?
I have got a 1:30 seconds free spool but it is anything but consistant. Seems to cast fine but I've only used an 8 oz. sinker. I can spin it hard & I can stop it by tilting  the reel to the left. If you spin it in free spool you must hold the reel level for it to keep spinning.
This reel does differ from my original Andros 5.  Here are some pictures I took earlier. You can see how the spool engages with the anti-revers gear. Also when I push on -the drag assembly (it is spring loaded) the spool turns very freely in my hands when keeping the drag assembly in the 1/2 way point in its little bit of travel.
Any one have some thoughts on this?  

Rivverrat

I have also just discovered a sweet spot when adjusting the drag knob loosen or tighten it & free spool will stop.

justindfish

Have you checked the cast  control knob on the left hand side? It sounds like it is engaged some back it all the way off and the problem should be gone.

Rivverrat

Yup it's backed off all the way. The issue seems to deal with how the spool is riding on the shaft. I can get a minute to a little more free spool while holding the reel level tilt it to one side & the spool will come to stop.

Seems to cast just fine. But you wouldn't want to free line bait with it. Also the spool will turns while cranking the handle with reel in free spool.

day0ne

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 04, 2015, 03:06:27 AM
Yup it's backed off all the way. The issue seems to deal with how the spool is riding on the shaft. I can get a minute to a little more free spool while holding the reel level tilt it to one side & the spool will come to stop.

Seems to cast just fine. But you wouldn't want to free line bait with it. Also the spool will turns while cranking the handle with reel in free spool.

The first is an indication that it needs a sleeve. The spool turning is fairly common on leverdrags. Just make sure there isn't a lot of extra grease, especiallly around the pinion and drag cover. This seems to bother a lot of people but I don't see it as a problem
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Rivverrat

My thoughts are if its spinning in free spool while cranking the handle it's not going to perform it's best casting. The free spool is not consistant at all. Goes from 20 seconds to a minute to minute in a 1/2.

Rivverrat

With the spool out of the frame but shaft still in spool being held in place at both ends by clicker gear & drag assembly on the other end....How much side to side movement should there be.

Remembering the spool is under spring tension from the coil spring on the shaft in the spool beneath the drag stack. 

Rivverrat

Well after many hours of lost sleep taking my new reel apart way to many times to count.... I've finally found the problem... 

The reel being new & the throw on the lever being stiff I was not pushing the lever completely into free spool every time. Excuse me while I go stick a fork in my eye