How to pick a rod?

Started by AlasKen, July 02, 2015, 05:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I will readily admit I have no idea what makes a good rod.  How do you pick a good model?  I would like to find some nice boats rod that are affordable.  I need 4 to a set.  I have a 24' footer that fishes four comfortable.  I fish Alaska so target salmon jigging iron or trolling down riggers usually double stacked.  I use Cabala's inner flow with Penn 209's.  It was what my budget allowed and I just went through a catalog. I have serviced the 209's and added greased drag washers which helped.  I fish some Charter specials for jigging salmon and rockfish and the occasional halibut.  These are on inexpensive medium/heavy Cabala's whupping sticks.  I use some Penn 113, 113h, and Okuma T20 lever drag on the heavy broomstick halibut stand up rods.  Truth be told we have landed only 2 halibut over 100 lbs in last 4 years.  More common 30 - 60 lb range.  That is the back ground. The question is what to look for in a good rod?  I spent 2 years building my boat and the last 6 getting to know it.  I would like some gear that reflects the Alaska workboat history.  Attached is a photo of boat to get idea of color and style.

fIsHsTiiCkS

That is a hard question and I think Jon, Dwight and others will be able to give insight into particulars. my 2 cents is When I look for a factory made rod, I am looking at what materal it is made from i.e. graphite, E glass, carbon fiber and such. When it comes to this I stay more toward the E glass side for saltwater, as it can take a little more abuse and tends to last a very long time. I look at graphite/glass blends, to reduce weight and makes a bit faster tip, also see what type of glass and the grade of graphite used. Then I look at components such as guides, reel seat, and grip. For guides i try to stay with known brands such as fuji, pac bay, aftco and many more. I dont like aluminum or SS rings as much, tend to stay toward titanium and silicon carbide. The same with reel seats, a fuji graphite reel seat is cost effective and a very strong seat! I like the all aluminum ALPS seats. Then on to what size line you will be using and if you want roller stripper guide or all convential guides or all rollers. What type of fishing will really affect length of rod i.e. trolling, live bait, jigging, casting surface irons. I research very long on each factory rod I use, but if you say line test, drag, and use I can recommend as will others. Also, as I stated there are many more knowledgable people on here, this is just my thoughts.

This is an example of a recent purchase of mine for a 20lb live bait boat rod. http://www.amazon.com/Croix-Legend-Salt-Conventional-Model/dp/B004IPYS2Y

I used amazon just because they list the specs right there, also I handled this rod before buying, which is a must. In addition I didnt pay anywhere near what is being asked. I waited to get a solid deal on it. But just as an example of what I was talking about.

Also, beautiful boat and nothing better than fishiing with the family!!

Newell Nut

Us technical fishermen go through a lot picking a rod to only change our mind a couple years later for something else that is "technically more perfect".
I have rebuilt a large number of old no name blanks for the party boat and they all have the Twisted Wire Pac Bay guides on them and people have no problem catching big AJs and Cobias on them.
Unless you are a die hard tech guy then just get a good quality e glass blank and wrap it up with nice guides and a tip. Then catch fish that are not techy.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 04, 2015, 12:23:32 AM
Us technical fishermen go through a lot picking a rod to only change our mind a couple years later for something else that is "technically more perfect".
I have rebuilt a large number of old no name blanks for the party boat and they all have the Twisted Wire Pac Bay guides on them and people have no problem catching big AJs and Cobias on them.
Unless you are a die hard tech guy then just get a good quality e glass blank and wrap it up with nice guides and a tip. Then catch fish that are not techy.

Couldn't have made a better statement, other then. My next rod will be better then the last one I made. ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

johndtuttle

What makes a good rod?

1. Quality Blank. They are not all the same and the good ones outlast the bad by quite a margin. Be that as it may, Fiberglass rods tend to be very, very tough and nearly unbreakable for short coin.

2. But, Graphite/Glass bends have always been the best balance between light weight and toughness, imo. Pure graphite is a fine line between sensitivity and disaster.

3. Quality components. Fuji guides and seat are the standard by which others are judged. If you fish braid, you need guides that are designed for braid.

4. Halibut rods to not remotely have to be stiff poles. No matter how big they are. A quality 6'6" rod rated 20-50 or maybe 30-80 will land any Hali that swims.

5. Salmon trollers can be very soft, but are not really required to be noodles. The same rod you use for Hali will work fine (don't get too stiff a rod for Hali :)).

6. Action: A "fast action" rod gets stiff fast (soft tip then stiffens quickly). A "slow action" rod gets stiff slowly and bends much deeper. In general, moderate to fast actions are the most all purpose. Just stay away from xtra fast rods and noodles as they tend to be more specialized.

Calstar has treated me right for general west coast anything. But Seeker or Phenix make good rods too.

ps Is that a Tolman that you built? Looks like a beauty. :)

Reel 224

Not mentioned here but should be considered is StCroix 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

First question is budget.  How much can you spend.

Second is reel that you want to match the rod with...including line and weight.  This will help you to select a rod that you may want to buy.

Then guides, guide placement, warranty, ...  it can be fairly in depth to answer these questions and I hope to respond other than on a phone.

So I need more specifics, including what you are targeting, line class, weight and lures to be used,....
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

AlasKen

Thanks all for the information. 
John, the boat is aTolman.  A 24' jumbo.  It took 2 winters to build it.  It is the perfect boat for me.  It is an Alaskan designed work boat.  I really like it it and since I built it I know what to do when ther are problems. It will fish 4 easy and more if need.  I had 11 adults on it for a site seeing cruise and it handles it well.  I hope to chase some halibut tomorrow.  Ken