A day at the Islands

Started by Swimmin Deep, July 05, 2015, 06:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swimmin Deep

Well, my membership here at alantani.com started because I wanted to repair an old Penn 209 MF my grandfather had given to me in his last visit to California in 1983. He had purchased the reel back in 1973. I had used it a few times, but the drag was not operating right.

I had put off repair for many years and was not comfortable with the cost of having someone repair the reel. I was familiar with this site through the fishing club I belong to. The fishing club had its annual Lingcod charter coming up and I really wanted to get my Penn 209 up and running to use for the trip.  After registering as a member here I did some research and ordered parts with the upmost confidence I could rebuild the drag from the tutorials posted here.
After receiving my drag parts I completed the drag rebuild on the reel with little difficulty, added new braid.
Got some baits together.
I put the reel to the test on Saturday (06-20-15) at the Farallon Islands. It was a bit bumpy in the morning, but the afternoon was much better as the fog burned off and the swell eased.
I landed a nice ling and slayed the rock fish for the day, about 35+. Had to help fill the sacks of others who were sick or just not connecting
My Ling.

My ling with one of my rock fish.
Coming back under the gate.
A great day and the Penn preformed.  

Keta

Nice, thanks for the photos.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broschro

Nice fish! The 209 is a good little reel.

Alto Mare

Very nice! Thanks for the report.
Nice area, I'm from Pa and three years ago I was fishing under that bridge. This fellow fisherman had two rods and I asked if I could use one. It didn't last long though, the wife made it down from the bridge and I had to give it up  ::).

I'm glad you're enjoying those older treasures. If you have a son, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to enjoy it and so would his son.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.