Displays, Cabinets, Plinths & Such

Started by Tightlines667, July 08, 2015, 07:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

My family started tent camping there around 2002 and made it a yearly trip....last time we went was about 3 years ago, I pulled my redneck condo down from Sacramento and met the family and two others who had never been to Jalama. The sign is a repro and a great reminder to the good times we had there.  You are right the Jalama Burger has got to be the best along with the California sunset.  I've tried fishing there but the current always seems to rip in that area.  Want to go back this year and we will be back in the tents as the condo has been sold.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Midway Tommy

Nice display, Bill! You're filling that cabinet well.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Ron Jones

So, I've suddenly become a collector of large Mitchell spinners, and I didn't even know it. How do you all mount your spinners for display?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

Holler next time Bill, We'll do some surf fishing. That place holds some monster perch.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

broadway

Love how you set up the display with more than just reels but cool pieces of your life.  Keep it up, brotha!
Sal, always love seeing the cool pieces in your collection. ;)
Thanks for showing,
Dom

foakes

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 26, 2018, 06:33:50 AM
So, I've suddenly become a collector of large Mitchell spinners, and I didn't even know it. How do you all mount your spinners for display?
Ron

At one time, Ron —

When I thought I ought to be a collector — this 1/4" white perforated hardboard and these little hangers worked well for spinners.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I don't like dusting them all the time so I set mine on a shelf with the bail arm or plate down and the crank/handle knob keeping it from tipping over. I keep mine behind glass doors in a case so they stay clean. I learned that lesson when my wife said she wouldn't dust them.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Ron Jones

If your wife won't dust them, Alison certainly won't. I'll have to take that into consideration.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

My Wife draws the line on the reel Dusting. ::)
Life is Good!

Bill B

Thanks for compliments.....my display is minor compared to most here....Dom's and Fred's comes to mind.....as for displaying or racking spinners Sal has a very good way....I believe it is in an earlier post in this thread.  Good thing about mine is there are so many another can be snuck in without notice 😉  Just need to meet the UPS driver at the end of the block
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Excellent display! My wife took my display case in the pool room for some of her stuff and agreed to let me put reels in a case we have in the living room...she was gonna toss cook books since she doesn't cook. i was all set to go but I spend most of my time in the shop and I like these jewels where I can see them....

Deepfins

Here are some pictures of my displays/tackle room.  The main display unit has a long history in my family.  My dad built it out of solid redwood lumber in 1969 as an entertainment center.  I re-purposed it years ago.  I recently lined the boxes with 1/4" bamboo plywood and added LED lighting.

My collection of reels includes examples from E. vom Hofe, J. vom Hofe, LA Coxe, Bronson-Coxe, Hardy, Stead, Zwarg, Penn, Ocean City, Arthur Kovalovsky, Oscar Kovalovsky, API, Pflueger, and Fin-Nor.  My rods include examples from Tycoon Tackle, vom Hofe, Leonard, Gurrieri, Herschel, Lott Bros, Neptuna, Kovalovsky, Hardy, Lee's, Schultz, and Shaver.  I love tackle with provenance, and have items fished by John Olin, Bill Carpenter, John Manning, Bill Fagen, Lou Gehrig, R.C. Grey, Steve Zuckerman, George Cutts, and Curt Whiticar.  As far as size, I have reels ranging from a tiny ½-0 Zwarg Maximo to the Penn "Lochness", and a massive Standard Type I 22/0 Oscar Kovalovsky.

Instead of focusing on collecting tackle from one particular maker, my goal was to have a few good examples from each of the major players, spanning the entire history of big game fishing.  In terms of vintage, I have tackle dating from the 20's through the early 90's.  My "newest" reel is a stunning custom 2-speed wide-spool 12/0 reel Oscar Kovalovsky made for Steve Zuckerman in the latter part of 1990.

I try to maintain about 40 rods and 40 reels, due to space and financial limitations.  Right now, I am WAY over, and will be selling off a portion of my collection.

Finally, if I passed up on a purchase just because somebody told me I was paying too much for it, this tackle room would be entirely empty!!

Pictures will be attached in 5 separate posts.  Here's 1 of 5

Enjoy!!
John
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

--Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Deepfins

2 of 5
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

Deepfins

3 of 5