Penn International 30 Drag upgrade question

Started by luckybass, July 11, 2015, 11:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckybass

117DN-30 Drive Plate Assembly with Dura-Drag™ Washer (30)

Just bought the item above for my penn 30, from what I am reading it is telling me I need a new pinion gear, but Scott's does not have it in stock (surprisingly). My question is do I need the newer pinion gear or not? If I do, can someone point me in the direction of a new one.

thanks
Larry
You are entitled to nothing.
Want it?
Earn it.

Tightlines667

Quote from: luckybass on July 11, 2015, 11:19:19 AM
117DN-30 Drive Plate Assembly with Dura-Drag™ Washer (30)

Just bought the item above for my penn 30, from what I am reading it is telling me I need a new pinion gear, but Scott's does not have it in stock (surprisingly). My question is do I need the newer pinion gear or not? If I do, can someone point me in the direction of a new one.

thanks
Larry

Its not surprising they don't have this part in stock, given production of the reels discontinued over 25 years ago.

I happen to have what you need (second from left in photo).  I can ship it out to you for $36+shipping.  I only have one of these left, but I would rather see it being used then sitting in my parts stock.  Send me a pm with your address and PayPal address (if you have one), and I will get it in the mail.  Alternatively, you can just send a check after you try the gear in your reel.  

You may want to consider replacing the 4 Bellevilles (18-20), and any worn/rough bearings (1ea. Pinion20-704=$15.45, 3ea. 55-40 $17.65).  I would recommend dissasembling the reel first.  Clean all bearings and replace any that show signs of roughness.  Check the cam follower pins (2ea. 142-50=$2.10) for excessive wear replace if grooved, check the clicker ratchet (81-50= $6.90).  Replace if there is a grove worn in the plate, or if the holes are oblong due to wear.  If there is any visable wear on the clicker pawl replace it ($3.85).  These pawls are pretty much unobtainium these days, and the newer style does not work with the origional side plates.  These last 2 can be skipped if you don't care how loud your clicker is.  I usually replace the preset washer (6/1-30=$0.70), and you may want a few spool shaft shims (154-30=$1.10) in order to adjust spacing.  The other things to check are your main gear (5-50=$48) for excessive wear/roughness, and ensure there is no slop in the drive shaft retainer/bushing that is pressed into the bridge (3-30).  

As you can see, you need to be careful when servicing these smaller, origional Penns since parts cost can quickly escalate past its value.  I am pretty sure I have all of these parts (except the ratchet, preset, shims, and bridge) in stock.  Let me know what you would like me to send your way.

Alternatively, you could ship me the reel, and I will service it for you for $50+parts+shipping.  Or send it to Cal and have him 'Blue Print' the reel for you (more costly), if you wish to fish braid and push the reel to higher effective drag.

Up to you, just lmk if I can be of some help.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

O..wait!

I just noticed your from Jersey.

JK ;)
Hope springs eternal

handi2

Larry can you show us which original drag system you had. I may have what is needed.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

luckybass

hey tightlines I sent you a pm. I have the original asbestos drag, which I im in the process to upgrade. 
Want it?
Earn it.

handi2

Will the early model drag plate with the HT-100 material work with this reel?
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on July 12, 2015, 11:14:24 PM
Will the early model drag plate with the HT-100 material work with this reel?

Actually, yes.  This would save him the trouble of having to replace the pinion as well.  If he wants to return the duradrag, and you send him the gen. 3 drag disc he will save some money and get the same result.  I don't have any gen 3 drags for this reel left, though I do know someone else locally that does.  I actually just finished upgrading a 50 this way last week.

*I added an attached document showing the 4 different drag generations.
Hope springs eternal

handi2

Thank you.

I will post a picture here first to make sure it's the right one that will work with the original pinion gear.
Gulf Breeze, FL

luckybass

Want it?
Earn it.

handi2

This should drop right in. As soon as Tightlines confirms please PM me and I can send it to you.

Keith

Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

That should do the trick.  Not sure if you have a 3rd gen pressure plate too Keith?  What you are showing will mate to his existing plate just fine, but I think the 3rd gen plate has more teeth, so less handle back play.  If Larry can post a pic of the backside if his plate we could confirm.  Also, sometimes the mounting screws might be a bit long.  The shorter ones should he used for mounting the CF disc.  The ones in the pic look fine.  Larry, just make sure when you mount it, the screws are flush with the back side ofvthe plate and you should be good to go.
Hope springs eternal

luckybass

Got the drag plate today, hopefully putting it together tonight.  I'll let you know how I make out.
Want it?
Earn it.

luckybass

117DN-30 Drive Plate Assembly with Dura-Drag™ Washer (30), does work with the original pinion. Thanks for reaching out guys, but I still wonder why Scotts would say you need a new pinion shaft? 
Want it?
Earn it.

Tightlines667

Quote from: luckybass on July 15, 2015, 11:30:37 PM
117DN-30 Drive Plate Assembly with Dura-Drag™ Washer (30), does work with the original pinion. Thanks for reaching out guys, but I still wonder why Scotts would say you need a new pinion shaft? 

I am glad to hear it worked out.  Just make sure therebis absolutely no slop between the plate and the shaft, and that the plate travels freely and smoothly the entire way from cooling shield to metal drag washer. 

Come to think of it, I don't remember ever having to replace a pinion when I've upgraded drags.  Though most of my upgrades have been on 80 and 130s, and I am usually able to just replace the cf disc, as Keith has shown.  If the information on Scott's is incorrect, might be goof to let them know. 
Hope springs eternal

GClev

I just picked up a "New" (appears unused) 16-20 year old 30T 2-Speed by Cal and was swapping out the Gen 2 asbestos drive plate for a Dura Drag edition when I remembered this thread and had a moment to wonder if I were going to need a pinion too.  Just FYI, like others, Cal's custom 2-speed pinion in this converted model fit the Dura Drag drive plate without a hitch.

From Scott's site there is a line of text well above the pic with the gen 1 and gen 6 examples stating the new pinion is required, the one that is unavailable.  He writes:

IMPORTANT CHANGE FOR OLDER 30S Drive Plate/Pinion

Then from the .pdf file referenced at this site and Scott's, the table with the 6 generations of drive plates and washers; note that the lineup on the left side lists no 30S model - the list is 20, 30, 30T, 30TW, 30SW only.

It looks like the pinion change is for 30S only? or not?  Would you still buy a "New" 20 year old 30S if the price were right?  Maybe Cal still makes the revised pinion?

And has anyone else dropped a drag cover screw down a well-greased frame screw hole recently?  About 4 crappy ideas for fishing it out later, I manged to push it all the way into the hole.  That was a first.  It's removal was finally achieved with a rubber headed persuader.