Can we source a supplier for thrust bearings, replacing pinion bearing in Avets?

Started by sundaytrucka, July 15, 2015, 01:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I was looking at the Penn Fathom thrust bearing, and it seems a simple enough a design, that I cannot understand the cost for the currently available thrust bearings that would fit the Avets. I know some have posted the appropriate size thrust bearings from online suppliers, and the bearings are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

So, can we as a community source a thrust bearing for the replacement of stock pinion bearings in Avet reels, there is clearly a huge market for them.

What thrust bearing design does Penn use? After looking at theirs I cannot see how you could charge more than $25 for such a bearing.

Just inquiring, as I could push my reel to higher drag settings and use these even more.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Robert Janssen

My thought right now is this... I understand the question and motive, but listen... --and please don't take this the wrong way; i'm all for people thinking for themselves-
but many individuals, myself included, have spent countless hours immersed in enormous searching and sourcing projects with innumerable bearing manufacturers and suppliers trying to source these bearings. It is not always so easy. And they aren't amateurs around bearings. (We have and use thousands at my workplace) And well found, they tend to be costly in small numbers. I don't recall exactly what I paid, but it wasn't so bad; twenty-thirty dollars apiece all told (you need a couple of different sizes) with tax and postage etc.

That, and that it has been said before that the results of the bearing change are not guaranteed to be huge.

So if you want to a) come up with a bearing assembly that does the job, and b) find a better price,

you're going to have to do it yourself. Have at it; knock yourself out.

Shark Hunter

On the same note RJ. That is the only reason I don't have any Avets. I really like the looks of their reels and I know a lot of guys love them, but the bearing issues with them has turned me off.
Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Word has it, they are releasing a 130. That will be hard to resist.
Today at ICAST.
Life is Good!

SoCalAngler

If your looking for more drag in the smaller reels buy a Raptor. People have claimed a design issue for the non Raptor reels but if you look at the drag specs and you fish their reels within those specs you really shouldn't have a issue. With that said if you operate any machine, car, boat, reel or whatever at it's maximum high end specs your going to have issues sooner or later.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 15, 2015, 11:13:23 AM
On the same note RJ. That is the only reason I don't have any Avets. I really like the looks of their reels and I know a lot of guys love them, but the bearing issues with them has turned me off.

If your looking for a larger model Avet find a T-Rex and you will have all the drag you will ever need without any bearing issues.

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Robert Janssen on July 15, 2015, 06:56:42 AM
My thought right now is this... I understand the question and motive, but listen... --and please don't take this the wrong way; i'm all for people thinking for themselves-
but many individuals, myself included, have spent countless hours immersed in enormous searching and sourcing projects with innumerable bearing manufacturers and suppliers trying to source these bearings. It is not always so easy. And they aren't amateurs around bearings. (We have and use thousands at my workplace) And well found, they tend to be costly in small numbers. I don't recall exactly what I paid, but it wasn't so bad; twenty-thirty dollars apiece all told (you need a couple of different sizes) with tax and postage etc.

That, and that it has been said before that the results of the bearing change are not guaranteed to be huge.

So if you want to a) come up with a bearing assembly that does the job, and b) find a better price,

you're going to have to do it yourself. Have at it; knock yourself out.

Thank you for the honest input Robert, I truly appreciate your perspective. I know it has been daunting for some to find any suitable upgrade replacements for some of the Avet line pinion bearings, but just wanted to keep the conversation open, as you never know who may have a connect on the bearing market or stumble upon an improved thrust or angular contact bearing.

I fish my Avet MXJ within specs, just a curios tinker'er looking to make a hot rod out of a mass produced reel, for no other reason than if the possibility arouse, because I could.

sundaytrucka

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 16, 2015, 04:56:37 AM
If your looking for more drag in the smaller reels buy a Raptor. People have claimed a design issue for the non Raptor reels but if you look at the drag specs and you fish their reels within those specs you really shouldn't have a issue. With that said if you operate any machine, car, boat, reel or whatever at it's maximum high end specs your going to have issues sooner or later.

100% agree with you SoCal.

I have never had a problem with binding or pinion failure, being I always keep the drag setup for 20-25# line, never been any higher. My inquiry was due to fishing the reel on the 5 day and wishing it had a bit more drag to get the stubborn YT to budge, not looking for much given it is only 20-25# line; I guess I could just thumb the spool, but I agree about stepping up to a higher drag rated reel...

I have been looking at the Fathom 15 2-speed, the raptors are a bit too high priced for me, even used ones.