argo sportfishing report 7/15/2015

Started by alantani, July 16, 2015, 06:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

They should be the same,  only smaller.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sdlehr

Quote from: Gadget on July 20, 2016, 03:49:56 AM
excuse my ignorance but are those stripers the same species as those on the US east coast?
I believe it was the early 1920's when a few railroad cars filled with water and Striper fingerlings were transported across the country. That was the beginning of Striper, or "Rockfish" fishing on the west coast.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RiverAngler

You are correct, Sid. They were "planted" here by folks from back east. They are not native to California coastal or inshore waters, but have proliferated over the last century.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Dominick

Sid I once did some research on how striped bass got to CA.  The author reported that the fish were in milk cans and brought in by rail.  I wondered at the time how they kept the cans aerated.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swill88

it was the late 1800's they came by rail...

oc1

As long as the train keeps moving the sloshing inside the can will keep it aerated.  Works the same transporting fish on the highway.  The critical part is getting the density (fish/gallon) correct.  Too high and they die of ammonia poisoning.  Too low and it's not cost effective.

-steve

STRIPER LOU

This is what the big ladies look like mrbrklyn!
................Lou

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

Your getting closer. Ya get points fishing off your own boat. People may disagree but on a charter or head boat the fish come because of the captain. IMO! He's the guy that puts you on the money!

When you can consistently catch  40 to 55 lbers on artificials from your own boat your starting to get it dialed in! I'm still learning and trying to get it figured out myself! Hopefully someday I'll get good at it!
.......................Lou

Alto Mare

Not competing with you gentlemen and especially not you Lou, you are the one and only " Striper Lou " :).
I just wanted to say that I agree with your comment.
Catching from a party boat could be fun, But, there is no better feeling than getting one on your own from your own boat.
Here is mine, not worth measuring, compared to you guys, but never the less my personal best at 44":

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Lou,
There is no pissing contest here that you are the Striper Man.
In That first pic, That fish is as big as you.
You do this every week. I think you got it down. 50 lb fish every time!
We all can catch fish, but you consistently produce fish like that every week on your boat with your home made lures.
It is what is, That is why you are Striper Lou. ;D
Despite popular opinion. You have put in the time, research and perfected it.
You are the very best at your craft. ;)
Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

Its a beauty Sal! As are all Stripers! Bet you caught it on a JM too?
No competition here gentlemen.
The one on the cart is 58lbs 13oz. 37 fish over 50 and still looking for a 60. Hopefully someday a 60 before I hang up my rod.  Artificials definitely put you at a disadvantage but that's what makes the challenge and keeps it interesting.
Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

Alto Mare

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on September 11, 2016, 01:56:06 AM
Its a beauty Sal! As are all Stripers! Bet you caught it on a JM too?
No competition here gentlemen.
The one on the cart is 58lbs 13oz. 37 fish over 50 and still looking for a 60. Hopefully someday a 60 before I hang up my rod.  Artificials definitely put you at a disadvantage but that's what makes the challenge and keeps it interesting.
Have a great evening,  ..  Lou
Thanks Lou!
Daron said it best, you have mastered the game and we should all be thankful for all your hard work.
I have not put those custom "Lou's Plugs" you sent me to the test yet, can't wait to see what they will bring.
There is only one Strper Lou, you've earned it my friend.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Lou the man.  Ruben keep at it.  Some day you might be the man.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

This should stir it up a bit,
It has been written that the next world record striper will be caught in San Luis resevoir right here in Ca.
There are some slugs in that man made lake.

Just let me add it will not be caught by me! I have only caught a handful of stripers and don't even qualify as a newbie when it comes to fishing them.  However I do now have an original striper Lou plug so anything is possible.