Pro Gear model question

Started by swill88, July 20, 2015, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

I picked up this Pro gear '4/0' in fairly nice condition with a few scratches.
I don't know much about it.
Is it actually called a '4/0'?
It seems nearly identical to my PG 545 in size but with a different handle.
I havent compared the gears yet but the sleeves are identical.

Any wisdom and information?

Also, what is the thought of these reels having no clicker? Any special purpose?

Thanks,

steve

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn1ljfiw1m83eqy/2015-07-20%2013.43.02.jpg?dl=0

alantani

change out the drag to a 5-stack, do the standard bearing serivce and you should be good.  nice reel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: alantani on July 20, 2015, 09:44:00 PM
change out the drag to a 5-stack, do the standard bearing serivce and you should be good.  nice reel!

thanks!... will do...

still have questions on the model, age, etc. 
and advantage/purpose of no clicker?

MarkT

Looks like a 454.  Holds 300yds of 40#, 4/0 gears/drags, 4:1 gear ratio.  Like a bigger 545.  Other than maybe trolling what's a clicker good for?

is it the same size as your 545 only with a power handle?  Early PG's didn't have model #'s on them or clickers.  Later models had clickers.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

john2244

You may have a PG 454, it is similar in size to a 545 but taller.  Some 454's were not marked, all  454's are know as the yellowtail special.  The guts of both reels are the same.  They date back to 2000 or so.
John

swill88

Thanks guys...

Yea it's pretty close to identical size as the 545 and with a power handle. Appears older and the milling of the crossbars is slightly different.

Guess you're right about the clicker... just used to having them.

john2244

It may be that you have a very early 545.  I had a couple but don't remember if they were labeled
or not. I do remember they had a different gear set from later models. The difference is size of a 454 and 545 is greater than what I seem to see in your pictures.  But pictures can be deceiving.
John

swill88

checking size with calipers both reals are nearly identical.
3" plate diameter
1.7" spool width

Johnfishy

See if the right side plates and spools are interchangeable.  It should only take a few minutes.

swill88

Quote from: Johnfishy on July 21, 2015, 01:51:14 AM
See if the right side plates and spools are interchangeable.  It should only take a few minutes.

good call!  spools and faceplates are interchangable... an unmarked 545

Is that a penn bridge and sleeve in a 545?

Johnfishy

The parts from a Penn 113H are interchangeable with this reel.  The same upgrades that can be done to a 113H apply to the Pro Gear 545/454/440/541.  I installed Alan's 2nd generation stainless steel gear sleeve, a five stack drag and 3.25 to 1 gears from a 113H on my Pro Gear 545.  Makes a nice 40 lb. reel.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on July 20, 2015, 10:58:33 PM
Looks like a 454.  Holds 300yds of 40#, 4/0 gears/drags, 4:1 gear ratio.  Like a bigger 545.  Other than maybe trolling what's a clicker good for?

Often while private boat fishing I will dead stick one rod and reel with bait and the clicker on and fish artificial's, either plastics or irons on another setup. Many times I'm fishing the iron when the baited line goes of and this way I can cover more of the water column with few anglers on the boat. Jig rods are fished close to the bottom and dead sticks mid to upper depths on star drag reels. Of course with star drags I fish in free spool with the clicker on to keep the line from paying out.

So if you never do this type of fishing a clicker may not be needed, but for me I like to have a clicker on my dead stick reels. Let me state I do have have a reel without a clicker but this reel is only used for live bait while I'm holding the rod and reel or for fishing artifical's.

As far as the ProGear reels in this size that has a clicker, as far as I know, it is marked as a "Yellow Tail Special" as I have one but used the same
internals as the 454 and the 545.

EDIT: Swill, this is what I did to my Progear YTS.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9544.0

swill88

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 21, 2015, 03:47:31 AM
Quote from: MarkT on July 20, 2015, 10:58:33 PM

Often while private boat fishing I will dead stick one rod and reel with bait and the clicker on and fish artificial's, either plastics or irons on another setup. Many times I'm fishing the iron when the baited line goes of and this way I can cover more of the water column with few anglers on the boat. Jig rods are fished close to the bottom and dead sticks mid to upper depths on star drag reels. Of course with star drags I fish in free spool with the clicker on to keep the line from paying out.

So if you never do this type of fishing a clicker may not be needed, but for me I like to have a clicker on my dead stick reels. Let me state I do have have a reel without a clicker but this reel is only used for live bait while I'm holding the rod and reel or for fishing artifical's.

As far as the ProGear reels in this size that has a clicker, as far as I know, it is marked as a "Yellow Tail Special" as I have one but used the same
internals as the 454 and the 545.

EDIT: Swill, this is what I did to my Progear YTS.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9544.0

Thanks for this info SoCal... it really helps me!

MarkT

My 545 looks like your gunmetal one but has a clicker and the power handle. It came with the counterbalanced handle but I swapped it out.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!