getting back to the way it used to be - 7/22-23/2015

Started by alantani, July 24, 2015, 12:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

there was a time when i used to go fishing - alot!  most of that was put on hold for a while, but things have finally started turning around.  the kids are doing well, the wife is officially retired, and joey is helping with the reel repair.  it's so sad, but i've only put 350 hours on the motors and i bought this boat brand new 10 years ago.  well, it still runs beautifully. 

joey and i finished up all but one box of reels, so i decided to treat him to a couple of days of fishing.  tuesday was salmon!  dewey put up some good numbers over the weekend, so we decided to take a shot at the area between point san pedro and the pacifica pier.  it was choppy as soon as we turned the corner around the number 3 buoy.  we passed "que sera, sera" just past montara.  dale said he was going to start at point san pedro, so we decided to jet up to the pacifica pier and spread out a little.  fatal attraction was up there, as well as moppy, so there were four of us spread out.  something we used to do was always a morning toast and an offering of sake to the fish gods. 

here's something that hasn't gotten much use in the last few years - the scotty downriggers, the lamiglass rods and the daiwa 17 lca's. 

we had one stripped bait, one hook up, and one more stripped bait.  this is probably the first salmon taken on this boat in the last 3-4 years!  we stopped of just north of of the montara closure zone, picked up a few rock fish, and headed in. 

wednesday was back to our usual.  joey ran the deck as usual.  rockfish were thick out there!

meet joey's friend steve.  the kid is just getting out of the navy, has an intern job lined up and is going to college on a GI bill.  but first, a little fishing!

my co-worker, ben, came along as well. 

meet the luckiest vermillion in the entire world!  we already had a limit of rockfish and were looking for a few more lings.  i was using a 12 ounce bullet head jig with a white kalin's 11 inch curly tail grub, tipped with a whole squid.  well, look what i caught!  the poor guy was hoisted up by the upper lip, weighed at 6 pounds, photographed and then tossed back into the water.  the indignity of it all!!!!!  but at least he's still alive, and except for the hole in his upper lip, none the worse for wear!

nice to be back on the water!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Good for you.  That vermillion is a beautiful fish. Too bad it does not stay red when it is steamed.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

whalebreath

You must be working too much you look to be losing weight!

Rancanfish

I know what you mean Alan.  The way it used to be.

My son and I are going fishing in the morning!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

Quote from: whalebreath on July 24, 2015, 12:26:25 AM
You must be working too much you look to be losing weight!

naw, lots of things are happening my my life, but losing weight is not one of them!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

So envious.  My equilibrium is all messed up...not sure when I'll be back on a boat again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Quote from: Rancanfish on July 24, 2015, 12:37:31 AM
I know what you mean Alan.  The way it used to be.

My son and I are going fishing in the morning!

First day in a long time I get out and I find my boat with an impact crunch.  No one saw it.  I'm so upset I could spit.  I'm getting it fixed right away so I don't have to look at it or think about it.

Nelz did send me a sweet reel in the mail so something good happened today.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

nelz

Alan - who cares about reels if you don't catch some fish with them!

Randy - sorry about the boat, but the USPS box delay caused the reel to arrive just when you needed a break; things happen for a reason. Glad you're happy with the reel.

David Hall

I know exactly what you mean.
Tomorrow at 0500 my son who has been so busy the past two years with coaching youth softball and baseball he's only been fishing with me twice in that time.  We're taking his son (7)  rockfishing.
I can't wait for morning