Prewar LongBeach w/ an 'Abbey & Imbrie' box

Started by Tightlines667, July 28, 2015, 08:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

A prewar LongBeach trade reel?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291516133403

Cool looking box.  Does anyone know more about this trade account?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Superhook

This pre war Penn Long Beach is the only one i have seen with the 'Abbey & Imbrie" logo. If the Ebay reel had this logo the auction would have gone much crazier.

If you had an A&I catalog from around 1939 with a Penn Long Beach 300yard reel cataloged as a #165 you would know the box is correct and not for some other manufacturer.

Or

Take the risk and try to find out after buying it.

I think it could be too rare for Penn collectors to know.   Some other make collector may have the box with a different make 300 yard reel . That would help .

Tightlines667

Cool box, but as you say there was a risk there.  Thats why the high price kinda surprised me.  Maybe the buyer already had the matching reel?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

That long beach isn't a trade reel in that Ebay listing. The box and reel don't match. I believe the buyer was in search of the box not the $50-ish LB.
That box is in unreal shape so if I had the reel to match... I'd probably go pretty long on it too.
I wasn't into the LB series until Ted (MaxDoubt) got me hooked.  I was pretty much strictly a senator guy, but I'm a fan of the endless LB varieties that always surprise me when they pop up.
Thanks Ted! ;)
Dom

Superhook

Abbey and Imbrie sold many different Manufacturers reels . They did not make reels. I do not know if that was a Penn Trade box or a box for another manufacturers trade reel.

Did Penn only supply A&I reels with their A&I logo or some with the A&I logo and some with the Penn logo ?

The box may have been made for a 300 yard Montague . After 75 years you find a 300 yard reel with a 300 yd box does not automatically make them a correct pair. You can assume it correct but you have to research to prove it.

Penn Chronology

Ray, you have the right idea. Just because the Long Beach in the box does not have the Abbey and Imbrie logo does not mean the reel is wrong for the box. I do not believe the Abbey & Imbrie Model Number on the box is an accident. The box number is 165 and the Penn Long Beach is the Model 65. As far as I know, there was only one Abbey and Imbrie mold plug made, so Abbey & Imbrie marked reels are very rare. This example could tell us why the marked reels are so rare. Penn simply put their normal logo reels in the Abbey & Imbrie box to satisfy the demand of the Trade Account. Boxes usually get dumped anyways, so the reels that are left turn into standard issue Penn reels because they were not marked and the fact that they were actually Trade Reels gets lost in the dust of history. I would be willing to bet that some old Abbie & Imbrie catalogs state they are selling the Penn Long Beach.

broadway

Mike,  I would be surprised if they would use the number of another existing Penn reel like the "165". I'm not saying a Penn 165 belongs in that box because I don't believe that box has anything to do with that Long Beach in the photo. It's definitely not a box for a 165 because the 165 is a direct drive. I would believe you if you show me in a catalog (Like you already said) but until then it's all speculation.  Not to mention, the Penn lube can be found for $10 or less on ebay so that doesn't help convince me at all. As you and Ray have brought to my attention, there are tons of anomalies with Penn reels I just have no reason to believe this is one of them.
Thanks,
Dom

Penn Chronology

Of course there is no proof, which means I can just make something up or I can deduce a possibility. I am talking in educated guesses, not facts. So I can be wrong; but, so can you be wrong. One never knows, do one???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Superhook

A&I box has "A165" . They may have added the A1 in front of the 65 for their own reference , keeping the 65 because it is for a Penn 65. Just something Businesses with parts other than fishing reels do when they have their own catalogs. Sherlock Homes will figure it out.

broadway

Ray, if it were an AI65 that would make sense but to use a "1" with the "A" to make it look like 165 doesn't jive with me.
Mike, until there's proof it's always speculation or an educated guess... And yes, you're guess is most likely better than mine when it comes to these reels. Just think this one is a bit of a stretch.
Always good to here your thoughts.
Thanks
Dom

sharkman

Just reading post and same day this was posted on craigslist.

broadway

It's an A&B alright, but not made by Penn.
Like Ray said, they bought from many manufacturers.
Thanks
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteJust reading post and same day this was posted on craigslist

Looks like  Horricks & Ibbotson Trade reel to me. Abbey & Inbrie was a very motivated company, profit motivated that is. They resold anything sporting goods related that would generate profit. Were very successful at it also, they lasted for at least 50 years (maybe more) as a brand and date back into the 19th Century.