Chinese built jigmaster 500l

Started by PeteC, July 30, 2015, 12:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteC

Hi all, i have just been given 2 brand new Chinese jigmaster 500l's
What are the differences/ problems compared to the US manufactured reels?
I would like to upgrade them ,but i dont know if there are major differences or not
I notice some of the aftermarket frame manufacturers say that their kits dont suit
I would also like to turn one into a 501 if possible ,to use for kayak fishing

Waiting to hear your thoughts
Cheers Pete

PS: Hi my name is Pete and i'm a fishing addict;
its been 2 days since i went fishing
i think i need help
(or so swmbo tells me) ::)

Rancanfish

Welcome Pete!

I honestly don't know about any differences between US and Chinese versions.  Someone will know pretty quick here.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

redsetta

The Chinese-manufactured Jigmasters I've seen have S/S yokes and eccentric jacks, but are otherwise identical.
Cheers, Justin
PS Welcome aboard Pete!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

PeteC

Thanks for the replies and welcome
Found out all i need to know from a local fishing shop, so all good
Am keeping one of the reels, and going to strip and inspect it, and see what needs improving
The other reel i'm swapping with an other kayak fisher for his older (and well used USA built)
500 and a new unused Seaboy 190
so i will have a reel that i can upgrade to a 501, with all the "fruit"
I want to use a Accurate/Tiburon kit and all the lovely gear that the fine folk on this amazing
site have to offer
Time to save some pennies, because the exchange rate and freight/ post charges ,
sure add up getting gear to this side of the world.

Cheers Pete

Ps.... Sorry for the delay in responding ,had to fly to Japan on short notice

handi2

It's like the China made 113h reels with SS yokes, bridges, and other parts. The SS used will rust so keep it greased up.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

akfish

I've found that the "stainless" steel in the Chinese Penns has a proclivity to rust. This is especially bad in the drag stack: If you don't grease the drag washers, you'll likely find the drag stack rusted together after a season or two on the water. I see that frequently in the Chinese 320 and 330 reels. The solution is simple: Do a preservice that includes Cal's Drag grease on the drag washers.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

Welcome Pete.  Where abouts are you located?

Traveling to Japan...life it tough...I would love to go back to Japan.  There was a fishing rod there that I wish I bought.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Quote from: akfish on August 11, 2015, 06:17:17 PM
I've found that the "stainless" steel in the Chinese Penns has a proclivity to rust. This is especially bad in the drag stack: If you don't grease the drag washers, you'll likely find the drag stack rusted together after a season or two on the water. I see that frequently in the Chinese 320 and 330 reels. The solution is simple: Do a preservice that includes Cal's Drag grease on the drag washers.

So true..!! I have had to dig them out a few times. Also the stud on the bridge rust's much worse than the USA models. Many times the gear sleeve is rusted on badly.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

PeteC

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 11, 2015, 07:55:21 PM
Welcome Pete.  Where abouts are you located?

Traveling to Japan...life it tough...I would love to go back to Japan.  There was a fishing rod there that I wish I bought.

Cheers guys, using my gear on the kayaks i find they do get drenched due to beach launches and just being down close to the water,
so maintenance is a priority
I can say that its not only Chinese stainless (parts and bearings) that suffer
Bryan i'm located in Queensland Australia, my trip to Japan was on short notice (6 hours) work only unfortunately, to rectify an ecu problem with a Nissan Skyline R35
that i built for a customer, took all of 20 minutes, but thats how it goes sometimes
The customer paid, so apart from no sleep etc, one of those things

Cheers Pete
ps.  If any one has a fully kitted 501 they want to sell and ship to OZ cheap, i'll give it a good workout ;D

foakes

Some of you may think this is stupid or maybe even blasphemous -- but here is what I do with Chinese Jigmasters and 209s, etc...

Particularly when doing multiple units or charter work -- I buy 6 or 10 new Jigmasters locally for $66 or less each plus tax.

Use the parts I need to repair the ones coming across the bench -- make sure everything is greased up very completely -- strip down the new reels -- use the parts as needed.

This is much cheaper than buying individual parts from mail order sources -- plus, all of the parts left over (around 80% of the reel) are all new, and mostly pure profit.

If in doubt, check out the price of a spool, drag stack, handle, sideplate, ring, gear, jack, yoke, etc., etc...if bought separately.  Or just a LW assembly on a 209, plus a spool and drag stack, maybe a gear set -- that is more than the cost of the reel -- and I have a lot of NOS parts left.

Won't work for the average guy doing 1 or 2 -- but it works for me.

Lets face it -- these are not your grandfathers Penns -- they are just tools that need to get back on the water -- quickly and efficiently.

And it never hurts to have boxes of parts already paid for by someone else -- makes business sense.

Just my opinion based on what works for me.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Nothing stupid here Fred, I'm with you on this one. It will also work reversed, as when selling a reel with many upgrades. You would do much better if you break that reel down and sell the parts.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.