Of Veterinarians and Reel Mechanics

Started by Bill B, August 09, 2015, 07:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I am submitting this as just some random thoughts on a warm Sunday afternoon, I have the UTMOST respect for the Veterinarians I have known and are friends with those that helped my animals friends....they have ALWAYS treated me and my animals like the "most special person and animal" they have ever met...I do not mean to marginalize the Animal Care Professionals and those that care for our animal friends...

Animals come in many different sizes, from mice, to dogs, to horses   
Reels come in many different sizes, from the Shakespheare Criterion, to the Garcia 600, to the Penn 118

A veterinarian is expected to be familiar with birds, mammals and reptiles   
Reel Mechanics are expected to be familiar with fly reels, conventional reels and spinning reels

A veterinarian is expected to know the difference between a pug, cocker spaniel, and bull mastiff   
A reel mechanic is expected to know the difference between a Penn 940, 250, and 349

A veterinarian is expected to know the proper care and feeding of all animals   
A reel mechanic is expected to know what line is needed for each reel

A veterinarian is expected to diagnose a sick or injured animal   
A reel mechanic is expected to diagnose a sick or injured fishing reel

A veterinarian is expected to know what medicine will cure and keep an animal healthy    
A reel mechanic is expected to know the proper oil and grease to keep a reel healthy

A veterinarian will do everything they can for the well being of the animals in their care   
A reel mechanic will do everything they can for the well being of the reels in their care

A veterinarian knows when it's time to retire an old friend   
A reel mechanic knows when it's time to retire an old friend

A veterinarian enters his/her profession for the love of their animals, not the money   
A reel mechanic enters his/her profession for the love of their reels, not the money

A veterinarian spends many years going to school and learning every day to perform in their chosen field   
A reel mechanic spends many years learning in their chosen field

A veterinarian can be the best friend and angel for animal owners when the animal falls ill   
A reel mechanic can be the best friend and angel for the reel owners when the reel falls ill

All my best regards to all....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tile

The similarities between the 2 professions are striking ( I am a vet :) )  I service mainly spinning reels including rear drag ones which are the norm here. Unlike reels who do benefit from spare parts the animals don't neither us.
In solid fiberglass we trust

MarkT

A veterinarian enters his/her profession for the love of their animals, not the money... But there's money in it!
A reel mechanic enters his/her profession for the love of their reels, not the money... Good thing 'cuz there's no money in it!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bill B

I was afraid this would have been taken wrong....but a Hearty thanks to our animals Vets and out military Vets too.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Reel 224

I have to agree with MarkT when it comes to making money on reel repair, especially in my case. Ill spend more then I will ever make on reels....but I don't care, I love the hobby.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

I feel like a vet when I work on some dogs that I purchased off of ebay.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rickb

Quote from: Dominick on August 13, 2015, 03:50:48 PM
I feel like a vet when I work on some dogs that I purchased off of ebay.   :D ;D Dominick
I loved it!

luckybass

Quote from: Dominick on August 13, 2015, 03:50:48 PM

x2! lol
You are entitled to nothing.
Want it?
Earn it.