Yamaha Grease

Started by GuyA, January 05, 2011, 10:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

John, I am probably over simplyfing this (for some) but, some grease/oil better than none. Marine grease, of some sort, better. Oil? TSI321, CorrosionX/ReelX, better than most - you pays ya money and takes ya chances :)
Many of us have been down the 'let's experiment route'. The finally seems to be something like - marine grease and a good oil - you choose :-\ Just my 2c or should that be 2p (or not 2p that will be the prostate ;D)

johnachak

johndtuttle

Quote from: johnachak on March 09, 2018, 12:12:48 AM
I only do about 30 reels a year. I bought a pound of Penn blue grease for $15. I think it'll last me for my lifetime. I've had nothing but good results with the Penn Blue on gears and Cals on drags. Should I look for the Yamaha marine grease and use it instead? Is it that much better than the Penn?

Are you guys using the Yamaha because its that much better or to save money when doing a lot of reels or because it comes in the tubes to use in grease guns to pack bearings and to do the cut off inflator needle trick?

There are some that say the Penn grease doesn't hold up to very high temperatures long term (like over 100F) as the base evaporates. If that is not a concern for you and yours its a perfectly fine grease from a lube and protection from salt standpoint.

Yamaha appears to be more stable long term.

kmstorm64

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 02, 2011, 12:24:40 PM
My suggestion is directed for guys that use Yamha  Marine Grease exclusively.

Alan, what do you think about a refillable 3oz cartridge?
You could ask one of your machinist to make a 3oz refillable cartridge, maybe out of aluminum or anything that is more cost-efficient, he would then install a zerx fitting directly on the gun itself, so there wouldn't be no need to unscrew the gun (we all know the mess that couses) you just back the spring up and fill the gun with a 14oz gun. I realize that we would have to buy the 14oz gun also, but I think it would be worth it in a long run. The only issue is that you would have to sell the complete  customized gun. I bet they would go like hot cakes.......or am I talking out of my you know what? I for one would go for it, I'm sure some of us maintain their boat and trailers, and we all know what it's like using the 14oz grease gun especially under the trailer. (again this is only related to yamaha marine grease use)learning from this product, I will be using it on my outboard and everything else on the boat.
Of course if Yamaha decides to make the 3oz cartridges we would forget about it. :-\

Try this, it makes less of a mess. Do what cake decorator's do, use a plastic bag or other type of bag. Use a bulk grease container, scoop grease into a plastic bag, cut the tip off  one corner, and then squeeze bag to fill the tube to reuse over and over. Can do the same thing with the glove allen talks about.  use a disposable knife or putty knife for the scooping portion.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

RowdyW

I picked up a couple of Jello moulds that look like hypodermic tubes that are used for Jello shots. They come in 1 oz. & 2 oz. sizes. Just stick the tip into the grease & suck it into the tube. Great for lubing bearings when the shields are removed or when you just need a dab of grease somewhere. I got mine on ebay.           Rudy

Reel 224

Quote from: RowdyW on July 28, 2018, 07:38:11 PM
I picked up a couple of Jello moulds that look like hypodermic tubes that are used for Jello shots. They come in 1 oz. & 2 oz. sizes. Just stick the tip into the grease & suck it into the tube. Great for lubing bearings when the shields are removed or when you just need a dab of grease somewhere. I got mine on ebay.           Rudy

Hey Rudy, I have a few hypodermic syringes for horses that would work I think. Good Suggestion...................Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

Amazon has the big jello shooters, syringes, that i use. I have all different greases in them. For spinning reels it works great. You can almost do an entire reel without using a brush.

They are great for putting grease in the handle and cap openings.

On a 4/0 and 6/0 you can push the end tight to a bearing and it will pack that bearing. The grease will come out of the seals.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: kmstorm64 on July 28, 2018, 05:15:28 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on April 02, 2011, 12:24:40 PM
My suggestion is directed for guys that use Yamha  Marine Grease exclusively.

Alan, what do you think about a refillable 3oz cartridge?
You could ask one of your machinist to make a 3oz refillable cartridge, maybe out of aluminum or anything that is more cost-efficient, he would then install a zerx fitting directly on the gun itself, so there wouldn't be no need to unscrew the gun (we all know the mess that couses) you just back the spring up and fill the gun with a 14oz gun. I realize that we would have to buy the 14oz gun also, but I think it would be worth it in a long run. The only issue is that you would have to sell the complete  customized gun. I bet they would go like hot cakes.......or am I talking out of my you know what? I for one would go for it, I'm sure some of us maintain their boat and trailers, and we all know what it's like using the 14oz grease gun especially under the trailer. (again this is only related to yamaha marine grease use)learning from this product, I will be using it on my outboard and everything else on the boat.
Of course if Yamaha decides to make the 3oz cartridges we would forget about it. :-\

Try this, it makes less of a mess. Do what cake decorator's do, use a plastic bag or other type of bag. Use a bulk grease container, scoop grease into a plastic bag, cut the tip off  one corner, and then squeeze bag to fill the tube to reuse over and over. Can do the same thing with the glove allen talks about.  use a disposable knife or putty knife for the scooping portion.
This was almost 8 years ago, things change along the way :).
Yamaha grease is excellent and I use it often,  but it isn't the only grease I use.
I keep it simple, I shoot a little in a pill container with a screw on top and use my little brush to apply it.
I'm also liking Shimano Premium Grease, I use that on special reels, but it isn't cheap. I like the way it sticks to gears, it doesn't take very much.

For spinners, I usually use Valvoline Multi-Purpose Grease ( red in color ) thinned down .

I like to experiment, these are the 3 I'm sticking with so far.

For packing bearings with Yamaha grease, at times I'll use my bearing packer, most times, I'll just remove one shield and pack it by hand.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Sal: Do you use any Corrosion X on any Penn's? I found that to be good on my small Penn"s up to 112s. It feels a little smother, but it's consistence is thicker then Yamaha..........Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 28, 2018, 09:36:43 PM
Sal: Do you use any Corrosion X on any Penn's? I found that to be good on my small Penn"s up to 112s. It feels a little smother, but it's consistence is thicker then Yamaha..........Joe   

Corrosion -X is excellent stuff, I also use Speed-X for bearings on spinners, or TSI 301, whichever I grab first.

Corrosion -X is thicker, I usually run a bead on spool shafts and gear sleeves.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Sal:  :) :) ;) I picked that up from you some time ago, I was just trying to jog you memory. ;D.............Joe

nelz

Does Yamaha Grease stay blue once it's been in the reel for a few weeks?

I cannot find Yamaha Grease around here so I bought some blue-colored "SuperTech Marine Grease" at Walmart. It turns green/yellow pretty quick though, so I am wondering if Yamaha does too?

I've never actually seen the Yamaha grease, but figured marine grease is marine grease, right? But seeing this color change is making me wonder if this may not be such a good choice to put in my reels? Btw, I've only used it to coat sideplates and such for now...

RowdyW

Most Yamaha marine dealers carry it. I've never had it change color. I would only worry if the grease emulsifies, that means it's mixing with water.       Rudy

nelz

Quote from: RowdyW on July 29, 2018, 04:10:40 AMMost Yamaha marine dealers carry it. I've never had it change color. I would only worry if the grease emulsifies, that means it's mixing with water.  Rudy

Thanks Rudy. This stuff changes color even without water exposure.

Alto Mare

On reels that were fished hard , especially star drag reels, everything will eventually turn black.
Yamaha grease doesn't really change color, but it will eventually get mixed with carbon fiber bust and Cal's grease, that's when everything turns black...still functional though.
Most spinners that I work on look almost the same as the day I service them.

Sal