Yamaha Grease

Started by GuyA, January 05, 2011, 10:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Handi is correct, and this generally only applies to machined aluminum frames with closed holes.

The screw and grease act like a hydraulic ram on a piece of heavy equipment.  It will multiply many times over its physical strength.  If the grease cannot escape through the screw threads -- it will damage the side plate.

This issue can be eliminated by just applying a little grease to the tip of the screw -- then wiping it not quite dry so that there is no excess grease to blow out.  This keeps a little grease on the screw for when the reel is next serviced -- but won't damage the tapped, closed screw holes or side plates.  Expensive error I have made one time.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johnachak

I use a flux type brush to brush some Penn blue on the screw threads before installing. It seems to work ok. When I re-service the reels a year or two later, they come apart fine.

MuskyFishing

The Official YAMHA place.
Screenshot from cellphone.
A diver sees a man at 20 feet without SCUBA gear and watches him going down. 40...50..60...100...150...200  At 300 feet he catches up with the man, grabs his board and writes: "This is Amazing! How can you dive so far without breathing?" The man quickly takes the board and marker from him and writes: "I'M DROWNING YOU IDIOT!!!"

mike1010

Does anyone have experience to share about Yamaha marine grease in reels in freezing weather?  A guy I know claims it will get unacceptably stiff.  Thanks.

Mike

Keta

All grease will get stiffer when cold, some more than others.  When I'm setting a reel up for winter steelhead fishing I degrease the bearings and use oil.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

I will add that the 14 oz. tube of the grease shown is their new color. It is not blue it's an aqua colored blue/green and is very slippery and thinner as compared to Evinrude/Johnson blue grease. Its great for gears in larger reels and even the Penn SS series reels.

I thin it with CorrosionX for use in the bearing packer.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

bluefish69

I use Penn Blue Grease in my Penn, Newell & Diawa Reels. I thin the grease only for the shaft on the Bridge & in the Bridge Sleeve. I use either Penn Oil or TSI to thin it. I never had a problem doing this. I also don't grease Bearings I oil them after I open them. I don't use or have big reels biggest is a Newell P440 & I don't use that because it's too big. I like the 338's or 332's better.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

Lee & Keith are correct -- all grease gets stiffer in the extreme cold.

That is true with any type of equipment that uses grease from D-9 Cats to wheel bearings.

Hard to find one size fits all -- or the perfect grease for any temperature range -- and when fishing in harsh conditions, freeze-wise, a winterization of your equipment might need to be done before fishing.

Yamaha does claim that the grease will provide continued protection at very low temperatures -- but I am not sure what that means, exactly...

I have fished when it was so cold -- every time I brought in a fish, or recast my line -- I would need to break the ice out of my rod line guides -- or the 4 pound mono would break -- do not recall the reel operating any stiffer with the Yamaha MG -- but even with gloves, my fingers sure were stiff.

I think I would try a mixture of CorrosionX with the Yamaha MG, if I thought I would need it -- about 75/25 oil to grease.

Or just have a spare reel spooled up and tucked away packed with oil -- in case I needed to switch it out.  It would be a good experiment.

Good luck,

Fred

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-ACC-GREAS-14-CT.html
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

"Yamaha does claim that the grease will provide continued protection at very low temperatures -- but I am not sure what that means, exactly."

Exactly.  The CorrosionX/grease mix is a good idea.  Thanks.

Bryan Young

Quote from: handi2 on July 07, 2014, 07:43:47 PM
I have dimpled a reel in 2 places because I forgot to wipe the grease off the end of the screw before assembly. This was a while back but it can happen really easy if your not careful.
Many of us have run into this problem even with a thin coat of grease on the screws.  Mine was on an Avet as a result of screwing in too fast and the air blew through leaving a dimple and a small hole. 

This is only of my pet peeves with aluminum framed reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

TomT

I have fished when it was so cold -- every time I brought in a fish, or recast my line -- I would need to break the ice out of my rod line guides -- or the 4 pound mono would break -- do not recall the reel operating any stiffer with the Yamaha MG -- but even with gloves, my fingers sure we're stiff.

Sounds like Shaver or Huntington Lakes or the Devil's Bathtub!!   ;D :D ;)
TomT

foakes

Close, Tom --

I've fished Shaver & Huntington hundreds of times -- used to own a cabin at Huntington.

Fished Devil's Bathtub in the old days (1974) when you could drive a 4X4 within a quarter mile of the lake -- about 6 years later they dedicated it as part of the Ansel Adams Wilderness.  Still an easy hike.

The time the line guides were freezing was the last day of the Eastern Sierra Fishing season, October 31, 1980 -- Bridgeport Reservoir -- double anchored off of Rainbow Point -- in a blinding snowstorm with wind blowing at about 30 MPH -- in our Boston Whaler we had at that time -- catching Rainbows and Browns on nearly every cast -- only boat on the lake.  Had to be back at work the next day in Fresno -- but they closed Tioga Pass on us -- ended up going back through Tahoe -- towing the Whaler in the snow and ice, getting a cheap room at a Motel 6-- taking off at 4:00 am the next morning to beat the CHP before they closed Carson Pass too.  Made it back home by 11:00 that morning -- went to work.

Probably couldn't/shouldn't do that now -- but we were younger then.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

TomT

Fred,
The Devils Bathtub was always a fun 4wd adventure and I used to hunt and fish there.  My most memorable time with frozen eyelets was at Shaver Lake on Jan 1. 1976 (I believe).  The ramp was snowed in and closed.  My buddy & I had a 12' alum and launched onto the snow (ice) up by the road.  We loaded everything into the boat and used rope to lower the boat, etc to the water.  Then we went fishing and experienced the frozen eyelets!!  All of this was the easy part---we hadn't thought of getting that mess back up the hill. ::) After we were half frozen to death, we had to unload everything and carry the stuff piece by piece back (uphill) up to the road--about 200 yards.  Then we really had to fight to get the boat back up there.  Like you said we were younger then!! ;) ;D

By the way I see you live below Shaver near the 4 lane and Old Tollhouse Grade.  My brother-in-law lives a few miles below there.  There is a fire road (forget the name).  Turn off Tollhouse on the firelane and then take a private road down the hill towards the Edison power line and he is home.  I lived in Clovis from 1950 to 1990 and still have lots of family in the area.  Sometime if the stars line up right, I would love to come to see your fantastic shop and collection.
TomT

foakes

Hi Tom --

My first 4X4 was an old 66 Ford Bronco --put a 351 with power steering into it -- after taking out the old 170 straight six.  Had soft top and soft doors.

Heading up into Devil's Bathtub one day around 40 years ago -- I had just installed a 8000 lb Warn winch with a frame mounted bumper -- never used the winch before.  It was late Spring, the pass had just opened up (Kaiser).  There was a much wider than normal creek (either Cold or Warm Creek) that was running full blast with snow runoff, around 100 feet across.  Looked OK to cross -- after all I had 4WD and a winch -- right?

Get about 2/3s of the way across -- and my front end dips down into a gravel bed that I did not know was so deep.  Engine still running, water coming through the vehicle and over the center console,  over the front part of the hood -- Bronco starting to drift a little downstream.  I half swim -- half hold onto the Bronco to get up to my winch -- only to find it is completely underwater -- and it is of course electric.  So I figure I might be in a little trouble at this point...

Anyway, free-spooled the cable out and somehow got across to the opposite bank that I was heading for -- went about 30 feet past and up a 4 foot vertical mud wall to attach the cable and hook to a big Tamarack.

Came back to the Bronco -- engine still running -- switched on the winch to see if it worked -- and it did.  Pulled me all of the way across, up through the mud bank -- and never missed a beat.

I have owned seven 4WDs since then -- and every one has had a Warn winch.

Your brother must live over by Peterson, Beal, or one of the roads down and across the four-lane.  Lot of roads down around that area.

Any time your up this way -- give me a shout.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

TomT

Fred,
You don't "look"  crazy!!! ;) ;D

Too bad some of us don't have videos of some of the stuff we did.

Thanks for the offer,
TomT